The Elvish Love Ring

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
      http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm

      One ring to show our love,
      One ring to bind us,
      One ring to seal our love
      And forever to entwine us.

      O ye language experts, does it really say that?

      "It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
        The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
        English into the _tengwar_.

        On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Stolzi wrote:

        > http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm
        >
        > One ring to show our love,
        > One ring to bind us,
        > One ring to seal our love
        > And forever to entwine us.
        >
        > O ye language experts, does it really say that?
        >
        > "It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "
        >

        > Diamond Proudbrook
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
          Today's Top TTS = Tacky Tolkien Souvenir.

          Mike

          Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

          >The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
          >English into the _tengwar_.
          >
          >On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Stolzi wrote:
          >

          >>http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm
          >>
          >>One ring to show our love,
          >>One ring to bind us,
          >>One ring to seal our love
          >>And forever to entwine us.
          >>
          >>O ye language experts, does it really say that?
          >>
          >>"It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "
          >>

          >>Diamond Proudbrook

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
            From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

            Thanks, Carl.

            > The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
            > English into the _tengwar_.

            Tolkien himself of course did use transliterations from English sometimes.

            But these lyin' so-and-sos do their best to imply that theirs is in Quenya.

            Mike Foster wrote

            >Today's Top TTS = Tacky Tolkien Souvenir.

            Mike, at least somebody has grasped the concept that "ash nazg thrakatuluk"
            is not precisely the way to signify your devotion to Tolkien, or to each
            other, or to anybody unless perhaps you're a Sauron devotee.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
              From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

              Subject: Re: [mythsoc] The Elvish Love Ring

              > The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
              > English into the _tengwar_.

              So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
              doesn't :P

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
                It rhymes if you're from the South.

                Cheers,
                Mike

                Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

              • Stolzi
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
                  From: "Mike Foster" <mafoster@...>

                  > It rhymes if you're from the South.

                  I am, and it still doesn't.

                  Hey, Mike, what about those Clerihew winners you promised us?

                  Diamond Proudbrook
                • Ellen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                    Stolzi wrote:

                    >>So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
                    >>doesn't :P
                    >>
                    >>Diamond Proudbrook

                    This is when I know I haven't had enough sleep - I glanced at that
                    sentence and my first nonsensical thought was, hmm, I never heard of the
                    ent's draughts being referred to as "wine." :)

                    Ellen
                  • Mike Foster
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                      Diamond,
                      I am finishing up editing chores on my 'Teaching Tolkien' paper for
                      Marquette University Press publication even as I write this. Once done,
                      I'll turn to the Aston clerihews.

                      Be advised that there may be clerihew contests at the Gathering of the
                      Fellowship in Toronto in July and perhaps at the 'Watchful Dragons' CSL
                      conference in Nashvull in November.

                      Cheers,
                      Mike

                      Stolzi wrote:

> [...]

                    • Lezlie
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                        Pretty jewelry if you like wearing "movie stuff" -- and, well... I
                        guess rhyming poetry is out of fashion... even in "... Quenya Mode,
                        Tengwar Cursive Font... " ... but, doggerel is doggerel. (IMHO) Lezlie

                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@d...> wrote:
                        > Today's Top TTS = Tacky Tolkien Souvenir.
                        >
                        > Mike
                        >
                        > Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                        >
                        > >The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
                        > >English into the _tengwar_.
                        > >
                        > >On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Stolzi wrote:
                        > >

                        > >>http://mystic-caravan.com/elvish/elfring.htm
                        > >>
                        > >>One ring to show our love,
                        > >>One ring to bind us,
                        > >>One ring to seal our love
                        > >>And forever to entwine us.
                        > >>
                        > >>O ye language experts, does it really say that?
                        > >>
                        > >>"It is Quenya Mode, Tengwar Cursive Font. "
                        > >>

                        > >>Diamond Proudbrook

                        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Beth Russell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
                          Of course it rhymes -- whoever would think that it didn't?

                          Beth

                          >>The inscription is simply a letter-for-letter transliteration of the
                          >>English into the _tengwar_.
                          >>

                          >So does "bind" rhyme with "entwine" in Tengwar? 'Cause in English it
                          >doesn't :P
                          >
                          >Diamond Proudbrook

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Yahoo! Groups Links