Re: [mythsoc] MCKELLAN TALKS 'RINGS'

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2000
      It is so neat if, as these clips seem to indicate, McKellen knows, loves and
      appreciates the book as we do.

      Mary S
    • Edward F. Stack
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2000
        That is really interesting. Another good LOTR site is
        http://www.eonline.com/Features/Specials/Lordrings/index.html

        Edward Stack
        Speculative Fiction for the Web (Winner of the PlanetDoom "Cool Site Award")
        http://members.tripod.com/edward.stack
        Author of "Ily's Dream", available at www.roxybooks.com, Barnes and Noble
        (www.BN.com), or Powells (www.powells.com).
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2000
          Around whom? :)

          Actually I recommend the site highly. Thanks for posting it!!

          Here is something Sir Ian says in his "Grey Book" notes of March (the
          latest) which ties in with MFA discussion of Lisa Goldstein's DARK CITIES
          UNDERGROUND:

          "The Bag End designs could not be bettered. Their colours are warm with lots
          of wood and signs of industry, writing and cooking and overeating. Simply,
          they are hobbity and to me very familiar. They are in accord with my own
          untidiness and need to be comfy. The kitchen table where Frodo pours the tea
          is akin to the family kitchen of my childhood. Yet it is all with a
          difference because Bag End feels like a hole in the ground. Why are
          subterranean books popular with children? Besides The Hobbit there are The
          Wind in the Willows, Knock Three Times! and, of course, Alice."

          Not familiar with KNOCK THREE TIMES, but the webpage includes a coverpage.
          Bet you could look it up on amazon.co.uk.

          Mary S
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2000
            In a message dated 5/13/00 12:28:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
            writes:

            > Not familiar with KNOCK THREE TIMES, but the webpage
            > includes a coverpage.

            This is probably the book _Knock Three Times!_ by Marion St. John Webb,
            illustrated by Margaret W. Tarrant, published in 1917. It's apparently out
            of print on both sides of the Atlantic, but there's a copy available at
            www.abebooks.com.
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 14, 2000
              In a message dated 5/14/00 12:09:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
              WendellWag@... writes:

              > This is probably the book _Knock Three Times!_ by Marion St. John Webb

              Has anybody read it? The cover pic shows a Gandalf-y looking person being
              confronted by three other types in medievalish clothing.

              Mary S