Re: Odd Hobbit question...& apologies ...

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 25, 2005
      My friend isn't terribly religious, and a Tolkien fan of even greater
      measure than I am. I showed him your mail, and he laughed and went
      somewhat further with it. Thanks for the chuckle.

      We Pagans have been playing with Elvish silliness for years... I
      *certainly* understand about theses and dissertation (YAY!! FINAL COPY
      IS BEING PRINTED!!!) Now comes the hard part: the *Book*. Lezlie

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, AMV Howard <amvhoward@g...> wrote:
      > If you think they'll be amused (I know my Rabbi would be decidedly put
      > out), feel free. I'd see how long I could draw the exercise out, but
      > there are these little things called "theses" and "deadlines" that
      > keep demanding my attention instead.
      >
      > /A
      >
      > On 8/22/05, Lezlie <lezlie1@z...> wrote:
      > > Oh dear-- I laughed myself silly. May I share this with Jewish
      > > friends? BTW: I have enjoyed every seder I've been invited too.
      Lezlie

      > > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, AMV Howard <amvhoward@g...> wrote:
      > > > "In haste we left Valinor. This is the lembas of affliction, which
      > > > our ancestors ate in the land of NĂºmenor. Whoever is hungry,
      let him
      > > > come and eat; whoever is in need of comfort, let him come and
      > > > celebrate with us. This year we are here; next year, may we be
      in the
      > > > Grey Havens."
      > > >
      > > > I'd always had the Dwarves pegged as the Jewish-analogues in Middle
      > > > Earth (if there is any such thing, which in more serious
      moments I'm
      > > > inclined to doubt)-- kept away from a homeland they constantly
      dreamed
      > > > of returning to (Moria), obsessed with precious metals (echoes
      of the
      > > > ugly stereotype of the medieval moneylender?)... but perhaps
      there's
      > > > something to be said for the Elves in that regard, as well.
      > > >
      > > > Alana

      > > elves.'

      Service.

      > > > --
      > > > Alana Vincent Howard
      > > > Prescott College
      > > > Master of Arts Program
      > > >
      > > > 770.419.8727

      > --
      > Alana Vincent Howard
      > Prescott College
      > Master of Arts Program
      >
      > 770.419.8727
    • Mike Foster
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 21, 2005
        As you wish. This is adapted from Billie Holiday's
        "Crazy He Calls Me."