Re: [mythsoc] Re: Odd Hobbit question...& apologies ...

  • AMV Howard
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 21, 2005
      "In haste we left Valinor. This is the lembas of affliction, which
      our ancestors ate in the land of NĂºmenor. Whoever is hungry, let him
      come and eat; whoever is in need of comfort, let him come and
      celebrate with us. This year we are here; next year, may we be in the
      Grey Havens."

      I'd always had the Dwarves pegged as the Jewish-analogues in Middle
      Earth (if there is any such thing, which in more serious moments I'm
      inclined to doubt)-- kept away from a homeland they constantly dreamed
      of returning to (Moria), obsessed with precious metals (echoes of the
      ugly stereotype of the medieval moneylender?)... but perhaps there's
      something to be said for the Elves in that regard, as well.

      Alana

      --
      Alana Vincent Howard
      Prescott College

      770.419.8727
    • Mike Foster
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 21, 2005
        As you wish. This is adapted from Billie Holiday's
        "Crazy He Calls Me."