Re: [mythsoc] MFA adult nominees

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2000
      Please, can anyone share some thoughts on the Beagle and Blaylock?
      I haven't seen those yet and I'm still just hoping my librarian will have
      them for me tomorrow.

      This is my 2 cents: (where did they put that key)

      Marion Zimmer Bradley, _Traitor's Sun_ (Penguin hc January 1999, DAW pb Feb
      2000)

      My kind of story, but, a Darkover novel? I have some bias about this one
      and I am worried that there will be a sentimental vote for Bradley due to
      her recent passing which is not merited by the text. The story is engaging,
      but I can¹t quite figure out why this one was nominated. If I have time to
      jump ahead, I will and maybe things will crystalize about this.

      Randy Lee Eickhoff, _The Feast_ (Forge hc March 1999)

      Classic epic, this one makes my final 5 fifty or sixty pages in. I¹ll let
      it lay for now while I concentrate on others that I haven¹t decided on yet.

      Nina Kiriki Hoffman, _A Red Heart of Memories_ (Ace hc October 1999)

      Halfway through this one and I can¹t make up my mind. The concepts of the
      magic and spirit are inventive and clever. I like it, and it seems well
      done, but I just don¹t know yet. Running out of time, so I¹m not sure I can
      finish it and adequately review others before the deadline. Unfortunately,
      the prose is prosaic and the story has yet to rise to the level of something
      that will be universally acclaimed by lovers of the genre, or lovers of the
      Inklings. It seems just a little too heavy handed about domestic violence.
      Not that the problem should be downplayed, but this is fantasy and shouldn¹t
      be preachy. I have no room for political correctness here; I¹m looking for
      escapism, adventure, danger, excitement and wonder. When in doubt, err on
      the side of caution and leave this one off.

      Graham Joyce, _Dark Sister_ (Tor hc August 1999)

      Terrific book, really enjoyed it. Deftly handled, this is a portrayal that
      is so realistic in the way that the emotional play between the characters is
      expressed, especially in the relationship between Molly and Alex, that it
      easily pulls the reader in. The herbology and the sense of history to which
      it attaches give the story layers upon layers of associations that enrich
      the reading and allow each reader to tap in and make it his own. I think
      tying it in with the archaeological dig grounds it in the world of empirical
      observation in a way that leaving it to dwell in the minds and lives of a
      few self sufficient isolated oddballs ­ which is one way to look at Molly,
      Liz and Ash ­ never could.

      I could go on, but the point here is that the magical theme of the story
      (distinguished from the social theme) is decidedly not in the spirit of the
      Inklings. Its overt reverence and subjugation to the Goddess, here in the
      guise of Hecate, is counter to the Christian sensibilities accepted by the
      big three and openly developed in the works of Lewis and Williams. Not to
      be forgotten in analyzing these works is Tolkien¹s theory of sub-creation
      which underlies his entire corpus.

      **Peg Kerr, _The Wild Swans_ (Warner Aspect tp May 1999)

      Ok, I like the dual tale books, always have. The characters are engaging,
      and the development of the parallel coming of age stories works. Sorry, the
      emphasis on the gay lifestyle in the modern tale turns me off in terms of
      the "spirit of the Inklings." The merits of the book are of no significance
      in this context. While a worthy effort, I can¹t put it on my list in good
      conscience.

      Stephen R. Lawhead, _Avalon_ (Tor hc September 1999)

      Only about 80 pages in, but I¹m thinking this will be a good candidate for
      the final list, even if not for the award (which it may be). The Arthurian
      theme cannot be denied; when working with such good material, any such
      effort demands consideration. Handled well as it appears to be here, it
      needs to be taken into consideration. I think I started Lawhead¹s "Merlin"
      and got bored quickly several years ago, but this effort is intriguing. I
      need to read more ­ if time allows ­ but this can go on the final list.

      Read more, not enough to answer my questions.

      Gregory Maguire, _Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister_ (Regan Books hc
      November 1999)

      Haven¹t had a chance at this one yet, although having just finished "Wicked"
      immediately prior to beginning reading the list of nominees I¹ve had enough
      of Maguire for a while. I found "Wicked" very uneven and ultimately
      disappointing throughout the second half of the book. I can only hope that
      Maguire does a better job here. Did read a few reviews when it was
      published...I'd like to give him a second chance, I like his ideas, so I'm
      sort of hoping many people have read and liked it. I'd hate to think my
      failure to get to this one kept Maguire from consideration, because I think
      he has earned at least that much already.

      Lawrence Watt-Evans, _Dragon Weather_ (Tor hc October 1999)

      This book just didn¹t capture my fancy. It was just slow going for me at
      first, and with so many other titles piled up wailing for attention, I just
      couldn¹t give this any. I didn¹t give it a fair chance, but the depiction
      of dragons is one of the great things in magical tales. Dragons are almost
      always engrossing, no matter how poorly handled, and at their best, they are
      the essence of fantasy. So I want to give this one another try and only
      hope that I get the chance.

      Connie Willis, _Miracle and Other Christmas Stories_ (Bantam Spectra hc
      November 1999)

      MIRACLE ­ A creative vehicle for reworking a nice predictable little
      story. Feels like Williams in the way the supernatural mingled nicely with
      the everyday. The battle of the Christmas Movie Classics was fun, speaking
      as one who likes them both, but prefers Miracle on 34th Street to It¹s a
      Wonderful Life.

      THE INN ­ Now this is a Christmas story! Willis raises some difficult
      questions here. How is it that the heroine of the story (Sharon) can be so
      strong as to recognize and accept that she is in the presence of Mary and
      Joseph while trying to keep her decision to do what she believes to be Right
      a secret. Why, not out of humility, but rather, out of fear of what the
      misguided and hypercritical Rev. Farrison might think of her. She is good
      and brave and cowardly and shallow, moving quickly from one to the next
      throughout the few hours of the story. This makes it a much stronger story
      than would be the case if Sharon were just a strong willed woman willing to
      stand up and proclaim her decision to do what she knows she needs to do.
      While she wouldn¹t stand up and say "I¹m going to help because this is what
      is right", she did do what she knew to be Right.

      This one by itself allows this book to stay in the running for now.

      L. A. Taylor, _The Fathergod Experiment_ (1999)

      This was simply a good story. The setting had the feeling that it was a a
      fairytale world that was small enough to be easily known while merely a
      representative of a larger world, a world that appeared much as an imaginary
      or theatrical presentation of an idealized feudal age.

      The story gripped my attention immediately. The interlacing structure,
      especially the time shifts, along with a wealth of very individualized
      characters make it very attractive. Only the technology of the people from
      beside seemed out of place as did the incongruity of the people themselves,
      possessed of advanced technology while appearing to be simpletons.

      I had a great time with this book; the fun and enjoyment is what the
      experience of reading fiction is all about. Yet, I must ask myself, why is
      this book on the list? What is it that makes it "in the spirit of the
      inklings"? Yes the pastoral setting helps. It also carries well a theme of
      justice, which I think is one of the themes that generally permeates the
      work of the Inklings. This will require some additional thought. Just
      telling a good story may be enough, sort of grading on a curve based on my
      emotions as a reader. I did want to keep reading as soon as I could get a
      few minutes for it, so Taylor is, in this work, a very successful author as
      far as pleasing the reader is the measure of a book.

      *A.S. Byatt, _Elementals_ (Random House hc May 1999)

      drifted off as I began this. Since it couldn¹t keep my attention, I can¹t
      vote for it.

      Yves Meynard, _The Book of Knights_ (Tor tp April 1999)

      A decent candidate, but the feeling wasn¹t there. It was well crafted in the
      mode of fairy tales and hero quests and the knight errant is a worthy
      subject. The story was a good story, the plot pretty much what one might
      expect and so is acceptable, although it lacks a sufficiently juicy
      political component that one can find in many stories of knights. (The
      notable exception in the Ship was far to limited to take this role.) The
      decision to keep the plot free of such clutter was needed to allow the story
      to maintain the simplicity and focus of a good fairy tale.

      Unfortunately, I found the story colorless, by and large, and so don¹t think
      I can include it on my ballot. Even though it meets many of my criteria for
      having been written "in the spirit of the Inklings, if it were the only
      candidate I would prefer not to give the award because I just don¹t think it
      was good enough.

      Dave Duncan, _The Gilded Chain_ (Eos pb September 1999)

      Duncan excited me here. Magic, mystery, monasticism, asceticism, feudal
      politics, adventure, fun Š this one makes the list after finishing part I.
      I¹ll wait to read the rest of it later.

      Pat Murphy, _There and Back Again_ (Tor hc November 1999)
      -- SEE BUTTERBUR¹S WOODSHED, MARCH 2000
      --- but if you don't have access to it, know that, in short, I consider this
      AN ABOMINATION! ok, that's a little strong, but you get the idea

      PRELIMINARY FINALISTS:

      "THE GILDED CHAIN"
      "THE FEAST"
      "AVALON