2005 Mythopoeic Awards

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 18, 2005
      The Mythopoeic Society
      PRESS RELEASE: August 15, 2005

      2005 Mythopoeic Award Winners
      Mythopoeic Fantasy Award, Adult Literature
      Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (Bloomsbury USA)

      Mythopoeic Fantasy Award, Children's Literature
      Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky (HarperCollins)

      Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies
      Janet Brennan Croft, War and the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien (Praeger
      Publishers, 2004)

      Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies
      Stephen Thomas Knight, Robin Hood: A Mythic Biography (Cornell
      University Press, 2003)

      The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature is given to the
      fantasy novel, multi-volume, or single-author story collection for
      adults published during 2004 that best exemplifies "the spirit of the
      Inklings". Reissues (such as paperback editions) are eligible if no
      earlier edition was a finalist. Books from a series are eligible if
      they stand on their own; otherwise, the series is eligible the year
      its final volume appears. The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's
      Literature honors books for younger readers (from "Young Adults" to
      picture books for beginning readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit
      or The Chronicles of Narnia. Rules for eligibility are otherwise the
      same as for the Adult Literature award. The question of which award a
      borderline book is best suited for will be decided by consensus of
      the committees.

      The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies is given to
      books on Tolkien, Lewis, and/or Williams that make significant
      contributions to Inklings scholarship. For this award, books first
      published during the last three years (2002-2004) are eligible,
      including finalists for previous years. The Mythopoeic Scholarship
      Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies is given to scholarly books on
      other specific authors in the Inklings tradition, or to more general
      works on the genres of myth and fantasy. The period of eligibility is
      three years, as for the Inklings Studies award.

      The winners of this year's awards were announced at the Tolkien 2005
      conference (incorporating Mythcon XXXVI) in Birmingham, England, on
      August 14, 2005. A complete list of Mythopoeic Award winners is
      available on the Society web site:
      http://www.mythsoc.org/awards.html

      The finalists for the literature awards, text of recent acceptance
      speeches, and selected book reviews are also listed in this on-line
      section. For more information about the Mythopoeic Awards, please
      contact the Awards Administrator: Eleanor M. Farrell, P.O. Box
      320486, San Francisco, CA 94132-0486, emfarrell@....

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 19, 2005
        From: "Eleanor Farrell" <emfarrell@...>

        > Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies
        > Janet Brennan Croft, War and the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien (Praeger
        > Publishers, 2004)

        Congratulations, Janet and all of you who has essays in this! Yay!

        So, when's your next book coming out, Janet?

        Berni
      • mafoster@direcway.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
          Will post clerihew contest winners when back in the USA 9/1. Eiger, Jungfraujoch, etc. in Swiss Alps all HOBBIT country, it seems.

          Mike

> [...]
          > available on the Society web site:
          > http://www.mythsoc.org/awards.html
          >
          > The finalists for the literature awards, text of recent acceptance
          > speeches, and selected book reviews are also listed in this on-
          > line
          > section. For more information about the Mythopoeic Awards, please
          > contact the Awards Administrator: Eleanor M. Farrell, P.O. Box
          > 320486, San Francisco, CA 94132-0486, emfarrell@....

          > ~-->
          > 1>http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h1i0du7/M=362335.6886444.7839734.2575449/D=groups/S=1705020227:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124469117/A=2894362/R=0/SIG=138c78jl6/*http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/arts_culture/?source=YAHOO&cmpgn=GRP&RTP=http://groups.yahoo.com/">What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good.</font>

        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
            Thank you! As David Lenander said, this one was all my own writing.
            The next thing to come out will most likely be the Dorothy L. Sayers
            short story "The Travelling Rug," from the Mythopoeic Press -- I did the
            annotations and Joe Christopher did the introduction and bibliography.
            It's going to be a neat little book, and it's a great story -- too bad
            Sayers didn't write more in this series! Right now I'm editing "Tolkien
            and Shakespeare: Influences, Echoes, Revisions," which includes a couple
            of essays from our Mythcon in Colorado. Should be out sometime next
            year, and there are some really exciting papers in it. Hope you will
            all enjoy it!

            Janet Brennan Croft

            > Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies Janet Brennan Croft,
            > War and the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien (Praeger Publishers, 2004)

            Congratulations, Janet and all of you who has essays in this! Yay!

            So, when's your next book coming out, Janet?

            Berni

            href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h6rervq/M=362335.6886444.7839734.257
            5449/D=groups/S=1705020227:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124515325/A=2894362/R=0/SIG=1
            38c78jl6/*http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/arts_culture/?source=YAHO
            without music, dance, and theater?Donate or volunteer in the arts today
            at Network for Good</a>.</font>

            Links
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
              Yay! Congrats to Janet! ---djb

              > Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies
              > Janet Brennan Croft, War and the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien (Praeger
              > Publishers, 2004)

              Congratulations, Janet and all of you who has essays in this! Yay!

              So, when's your next book coming out, Janet?

              Berni

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • Bonnie Callahan
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
                Add me in, Janet! Kudos!--Bonnie

                "dianejoy@..." wrote:

                > Yay! Congrats to Janet! ---djb

              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Thank you all (blushes)!

                  Janet
                  > > Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies Janet Brennan
                  > > Croft, War and the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien (Praeger Publishers,
                  > > 2004)
                  >
                  > Congratulations, Janet and all of you who has essays in this! Yay!
                  >
                  > So, when's your next book coming out, Janet?
                  >
                  > Berni
                  >
                  > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
                  > Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
                    You deserve every blush! Yay! Congratulations! (Now, to find a copy and
                    read!) ---djb