Tolkien in Romania

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 10:12 AM
      Folks, see the message below from a Tolkien scholar in Romania. If you
      know of anything that may help her, please feel free to contact her.
      Joan, is there any way to subscribe to this list if you have email but
      don't have web access? That's often the case with people in less
      electronically endowed countries.

      Edith Crowe

      Subject: Tolkien research
      Date: Wed, 23 Jan 1980 22:08:06 +0200 (EET)
      From: Diana FALIBOGA <diana@...>
      To: ecrowe@...

      Dear Ms. Crowe,

      My name is Diana Faliboga and I am currently working on a Ph.D. thesis
      on
      JRR Tolkien. I contacted your society about a year ago trying to get in
      touch with people who have the same interests as me. For various reasons
      had to stop my research and I had little access to Internet. As my
      University from Iasi, Romania restored its network I can communicate
      easier with you.

      The main problem about my research is the lack of information and
      bibliography upon Tolkien and the Inklings because people here in
      Romania
      hardly know about them and the libraries are pretty poor in such
      materials.

      Can you suggest me a graduate program of studies in the USA that would
      allow me to work on my research or a tutor that could help me?
      I would also like to know the latest news about you and your work
      because
      you are doing a pretty good one.

      In the meantime I wish you Happy Easter.
      Thank you vey much for your time and look forward to hearing from you.

      Sincerely yours,
      Diana (a hobbit who lost his way but has no fellowship)
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6 8:37 AM
        Edith Crowe wrote:

        > From: Edith Crowe <ecrowe@...>
        >
        > Folks, see the message below from a Tolkien scholar in Romania. If you
        > know of anything that may help her, please feel free to contact her.
        > Joan, is there any way to subscribe to this list if you have email but
        > don't have web access? That's often the case with people in less
        > electronically endowed countries.
        >
        > Edith Crowe
        >
        > Subject: Tolkien research
        > Date: Wed, 23 Jan 1980 22:08:06 +0200 (EET)
        > From: Diana FALIBOGA <diana@...>
        > To: ecrowe@...
        >
        > Dear Ms. Crowe,
        >
        > My name is Diana Faliboga and I am currently working on a Ph.D. thesis
        > on
        > JRR Tolkien. I contacted your society about a year ago trying to get in
        > touch with people who have the same interests as me. For various reasons
        > had to stop my research and I had little access to Internet. As my
        > University from Iasi, Romania restored its network I can communicate
        > easier with you.
        >
        > The main problem about my research is the lack of information and
        > bibliography upon Tolkien and the Inklings because people here in
        > Romania
        > hardly know about them and the libraries are pretty poor in such
        > materials.
        >
        > Can you suggest me a graduate program of studies in the USA that would
        > allow me to work on my research or a tutor that could help me?
        > I would also like to know the latest news about you and your work
        > because
        > you are doing a pretty good one.
        >
        > In the meantime I wish you Happy Easter.
        > Thank you vey much for your time and look forward to hearing from you.
        >
        > Sincerely yours,
        > Diana (a hobbit who lost his way but has no fellowship)

        I don't know much about the computer end of it, but I hope she can find
        a tutor; I'd think that they'd need Romanian as well as expertise in
        Tolkien. In the meantime, I'd think Alexei might be terriffic! ---djb.