Harry Potter SPOILERS

  • ebadams2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2005
      SPOILER SPACE

      First of all, let me state that I am only Halfway through HP VI, so
      I know of Dumbledore's demise only through rumors and a certain not-
      tagged post on this site that included that little detail. However,
      I was not surprised by the event and do not believe that
      Dumbledore's death was faked.
      Basically, this is a motif we have all seen before: For the real,
      budding hero to come into his own, his mentor has to depart, and
      that's often done by getting himself killed. There are several
      examples I can think of: Bilbo would never have grown into the hero
      of The Hobbit if Gandalf had stuck around. Gandalf's death in LotR
      had profound impact on all the other members of the Fellowship,
      forcing them to their own devices. I do not believe Frodo would have
      decided to go it alone to Morder if Gandalf had still been around.
      And although Gandalf did return to the rest of the Fellowship, he
      did not again see Frodo and Sam until after their quest was
      completed.
      For Babylon 5 fans, General Haig had to die for Captain Sheridan to
      come into his own as leader of the War against the Shadows and
      eventual President of the Galactic Alliance.
      Stretching the idea further, neither Luke Skywalker nor Bruce Wayne
      nor the infant Harry Potter would ever have started on their own
      paths to greatness if their parents (who are their mentors at the
      time) had not been murdered. (I'm referring to Luke's foster parents
      he grew up with on Tatooine-the only family he had ever known)
      So, no, I am not surprised Dumbledore is killed, (his unhealable
      injury telegraphs his weakness anyway), I do not believe it was
      faked, and I do believe it will prove important for Harry to
      finally, truly, become the Chosen One who takes out Voldemort
      permanently.

      Blake Adams