Re: JK Rowling's Original MS - art & arts

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2005
      Cai,

      I have the sense that a person who is "good at" one sort of creative
      expression also spends time in others. I write, but I also am an
      artist (for examples:
      http://www.br2.tantech.com/gallery/Some-art-Lezlie) One thing seems to
      "feed into" the other in some sort of rhythmic flow.

      It is easier to get the story moving when I'm in "stuck" places when I
      can create the characters and/or the places in sketches -- but, those
      little "doodles" are tools, not an end in themselves. A process very
      much unlike my sculptures, which have their own beginnings and endings.

      I also run into writers who are musicians. There seems to be a cross
      over in the arts, I wonder how widespread it is? (Seems like I read
      study somewhere about that ...) Lezlie

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Cai Cherie <eternityfindsitself@y...>
      wrote:
      > It is amazing how many authors are fairly descent artists. My guess
      is is that it has to do with the ability to visualize. Many writers
      (and readers) see the equivelent of movies in their heads. To want to
      draw some of it seems natural.

      > I've always been fascinated by writer/artists. The two gifts sound
      like almost contradictory talents but they are actually complementry.
      If you draw what you are writing about you can stumble onto extra
      details. If you write about what you draw you can do the same. Its
      all discovery/world-building.