Snape and Dumbledore in HP6

  • Ernest Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2005

      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > And I too suspect that Snape is still an undercover good guy, though
      > I'm not sure how this works.

      My theory is that Dumbledore's death is faked. (Snape has some way of
      suppressing the actual Avada Kedavra curse.) A couple of suggestive
      pieces of evidence:
      1. Just before Dumbledore's assasination, he's explaining to Malfoy
      how they could fake his death.
      2. Harry thinks he sees a phoenix rise joyfully from Dumbledore's pyre.
      3. The Avada Kedavra curse leaves no marks on the body, so the faking
      is easy (particularly if some of the other teachers are in on it.)

      On the other hand, I don't see how this would be at all consistent with
      the Unbreakable Vow that Snape makes to Narcissa. Perhaps there's some
      way around it, given the circumlocution that Narcissa uses ("the
      deed that the Dark Lord has ordered Draco to perform" --- perhaps
      Voldemort has given more than one order to Draco?)

      Alexei writes:

      > What strikes me is that, while everyone knows Snape hated Harry's father,
      > nobody seems to consider that he may have loved Harry's mother.

      That definitely has the ring of truth.

      -- Ernie
    • Ernest Davis
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2005
        My deepest apologies.
        -- Ernie
      • Pauline J. Alama
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2005
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Ernest Davis <davise@c...> wrote:

          > >> My theory is that Dumbledore's death is faked. (Snape has some
          way of
          > suppressing the actual Avada Kedavra curse.)

          Another interesting possibility. Could Snape be saying Avada Kedrava
          while countering it with a different unvoiced spell?

          And yet, I don't believe this. The theme of accepting death has been
          too consistent for me to believe that Dumbledore hasn't also
          followed that path. He had been saying that he was getting old, and
          in the first book he more or less said that Nicolas Flamel's death
          wasn't a tragedy because it was his time.)

          The phoenix doesn't fake death. It dies, and is renewed from death
          to rebirth. The first time Harry sees the phoenix, Dumbledore says
          it's high time the phoenix burned & got on with it. Maybe -- just
          MAYBE -- Dumbledore will be back, but if he does return, I bet it
          will be a return from death (like Gandalf -- or Christ), not a ruse
          revealed.

          Pauline J. Alama
          http://geocities.com/paulinejalama/paulinealama.html
          THE EYE OF NIGHT