Re: Preludes, etc.

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10 9:15 AM
      On 10 Aug 2005 11:24:07 -0000, Cai Cherie <eternityfindsitself@...>wrote:

      > .
      > <<Does not the noun "prelude" suggest to anyone one of the most important
      > poems, nay, epics, in the English language?
      >
      > Oh dear, oh very, very, very dear.
      >
      > OK--here's the scoop. "The Prelude," was initially written in the first
      > decade of the 19th century by William Wordsworth.>>

      [sigh] My AP English test way back when in high school asked us to
      explicate this poem. It seems I did a very good job after that of completely
      eradicating that poem from my mind because up until this moment I had
      totally forgotten it.
      I must have done a passable job though, since I got a high score on the
      test. Which probably goes to show you that those tests don't exactly pick
      out geniuses, because as I recall, I wrote a bunch of nonsense. And of
      course, I took the test the year BEFORE taking British literature, so I had
      no knowledge of Wordsworth whatsoever yet.
      When I went to college, I ended up developing very detailed pictures of all
      of the poets in my mind, since I read so much poetry ... Wordsworth was this
      sort of bearded grandfather in my mind, just kind of sitting around on a
      rock and whittling, shaking his head at all the crazy kids that were the
      other poets.

      -kt