Re:Sorting Hat

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9 9:32 AM
      On 9 Aug 2005 10:48:01 -0000, "Stolzi" Stolzi@... wrote:

      <<And just BTW - if Ravenclaw is for the intellectual, brainy types, why
      didn't the Sorting Hat send Hermione there?>>

      I seem to recall one of the characters asking that in Book 5 as well. But
      Gryffindor, I think, is for the "heroic" people who are inclined to fight
      evil and have adventures, so perhaps that aspect of Hermione trumped the
      brainy aspect of her.
      I would guess she would have been sent to Ravenclaw if she was the type to
      be so involved in her books and studying that she would stay out of the type
      of thing that tends to go on with Harry, but instead, helping her friends
      and fighting the bad guys always comes before school for her, no matter how
      much she values school and being the best student, etc. So, she's a
      Gryffindor.
      And of course, there is a sense of destiny in this story so perhaps the
      Sorting Hat knew that she would be instrumental to Harry's success at
      Hogwart's and so sent her to be with him.
      As for Professor McGonagall, I thought beadily in that context meant
      something sort of like "beady little eyes," like her eyes were all screwed
      up all small, sort of suspiciously/angrily. <shrug> The only definition I
      can find for "beadily" is an adverb connected with the adjective "beady" --
      "small, round and shiny with interest or greed." So my guess is that the
      adverb is meant to describe more how her face looked as she said it than the
      tone of her voice.
      -kt

      --
      http://muhetireur.blogspot.com

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9 12:32 PM
        From: "Katie Glick" <ktglick@...>>

        Katie, your explanation re Hermione makes plenty of sense!

        > As for Professor McGonagall, I thought beadily in that context meant
        > something sort of like "beady little eyes," like her eyes were all screwed
        > up all small, sort of suspiciously/angrily.

        Yes, I'm sure that's what it MEANS, but what you say below is why it's bad
        writing. JKR's prose is usually serviceable, though not brilliant, but in
        that particular case she (and her editors) messed up.

        > So my guess is that the
        > adverb is meant to describe more how her face looked as she said it than
        the
        > tone of her voice.

        Diamond Proudbrook