Mountain Myth

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2000
      Mt. St. Helens is being discussed on one of my other lists, where someone
      offered this engaging story:

      << Native cultures in the Pacific Northwest, such as the Salish and
      Klickitat Indians, called Mount St. Helens Loo-Wit Lat-kla or
      Louwala-Clough (fire mountain or smoking mountain). In their legends, a
      female spirit (Mount St. Helens) tried to make peace between two sons
      (Mounts Adams and Hood) of the Great Spirit who fought over her,
      throwing fiery rocks at each other and causing earthquakes. The warring
      of the sons destroyed the Bridge of the Gods that once crossed the
      Columbia River. These legends are undoubtedly referring to volcanic
      eruptions and earthquakes that both frightened and awed the area's early
      inhabitants. >>

      GK Chesterton says somewhere that when you hear a tale like that, there is
      something wrong with you if at least part of you doesn't wish it were true.

      Mary S