Cricket magic

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2005
      >BTW, as an experiment, we hired a group of British ex-pats to teach
      >the kids in our program cricket and for fifteen minutes, they acted
      >like *children* - no fighting, no "attitude", no slurs; they actually
      >laughed and *played* with each other. I credit this miracle to HP's
      >popularity. (Or, maybe cricket has it's own magic...:) )

      Actually, I think it could be the latter. There has been a cricket club in
      South Central Los Angeles for ten years now, before Harry Potter came into
      existence. It started as a workshop at Compton high school and developed
      into an actual team of ex-gang members called the Compton Homies and Popz.
      They've toured England several times now and won the British cup twice.
      Their goal is to promote cricket in the U.S. and to work against gang
      culture, encouraging young gang members to put their efforts into something
      productive, i.e., the cricket team.

      It's a really neat thing, and amazing to me that of all activities, cricket
      would be the one to capture the attention of Latino gang members.

      -kt