Re: [mythsoc] edmund wilson

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2005
      Like Ernest Hemingway, Edmund Wilson is one writer who one likes less as
      one knows more. He deserves credit, perhaps, for inspiring Scott
      Fitzgerald's first novel in a tangential Princetonian way. His tag team
      tryst with Edna St. Vincent Millay and [I think; too busy prepping for
      Brum and doing the Evelyn Waugh piece I owed GILBERT yesterday] John Dos
      Passos would be nasty if it wasn't so laughable. I forget which had the
      upper Edna & which the lower. Alcohol was involved.

      Am saving that issue to read on the plane to Brum via Paris. One of the
      best student Critique of JRRT Critique papers I ever received, and early
      on, too, was a scathing vivisection of "Oo, Those Awful Orcs".

      Back to Oxford with Waugh.

      Cheers,
      Mike