edmund wilson

  • saraciborski
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2005
      Since Edmund Wilson's negative review of LotR is famous in Tolkien
      studies, some of you may be interested, as I was, in reading an
      article
      about him in this week's New Yorker magazine (Aug. 8-15 issue-I don't
      know how to put in links but it's found at www.newyorker.com). The
      article, "Edmund Wilson's Critical Life" by Harvard professor Louis
      Menand, makes clear the scope and limitations of Wilson's criticism
      generally, and does briefly note his "dismissal" of LotR as
      characteristic of his tendency toward absolutism in negative reviews.

      Anyway, I am happy to learn something about Wilson the human being,
      which helps to neutralizes the antipathy I feel toward anyone who
      doesn't like Tolkien.

      Sara Ciborski
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2005
        Like Ernest Hemingway, Edmund Wilson is one writer who one likes less as
        one knows more. He deserves credit, perhaps, for inspiring Scott
        Fitzgerald's first novel in a tangential Princetonian way. His tag team
        tryst with Edna St. Vincent Millay and [I think; too busy prepping for
        Brum and doing the Evelyn Waugh piece I owed GILBERT yesterday] John Dos
        Passos would be nasty if it wasn't so laughable. I forget which had the
        upper Edna & which the lower. Alcohol was involved.

        Am saving that issue to read on the plane to Brum via Paris. One of the
        best student Critique of JRRT Critique papers I ever received, and early
        on, too, was a scathing vivisection of "Oo, Those Awful Orcs".

        Back to Oxford with Waugh.

        Cheers,
        Mike