Re: [mythsoc] The Choices of Master Samwise

    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 3, 2005
      At 01:47 PM 8/3/2005 -0400, Grace Monk wrote:

      >And as I stated before, you will never be able to convince me of this point.

      Ah, so this is a matter of faith, not of logical conclusion.

      >I seriously disagree with you. Yet you are continuing to argue. Why is that?

      Because there are points needing response. In this case the point was
      Carl's misunderstanding of what I wrote, not anything of yours, though
      since Carl and I had both been discussing what you wrote, your name
      inevitably came up.

      If you don't want to discuss the point any further, then stop discussing
      it. It you want to drop the matter, then drop it. If you don't want to
      say anything, then don't say it.

      >If you want to take it up with others
      >on the List, have at it. But you and I are at the end of the discussion.

      Uh, yeah, I was taking it up with Carl. Carl is not you. I did make the
      mistake of thinking inter alia that a further explanation of your opinions
      might be useful. Instead, you wish to explain at some length how you have
      nothing to explain. I begin to understand your disinclination to believe
      in futility.

      >Sam made the right decision
      >to leave Frodo and try to take the ring on to Mordor.

      If so, then he was wrong to later decide that this decision had been wrong.
      One way or another, Sam made a wrong decision. Discussions have a
      tendency to evolve, and regardless of your original point, that was my point.

      >I've never addressed
      >whether his attempt to return to Frodo after the orcs capture his master is
      >the right decision or not.

      You're not required to have an opinion on that, but it does seem kind of
      relevant to the matter of Sam's actions.

      DB
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.