Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Choices of Master Samwise

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 3, 2005
      In a message dated 8/3/2005 11:46:55 AM Central Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      WHY is it (as you and Grace argue) the right thing for Sam to both
      leave and then try to come back?

      -------

      No.

      I stated that Sam did the right thing in furthering the quest, although it
      hurt his heart to leave his master. It was the right decision and the story
      bears out that correctness. Sam was true to what he had committed to do -- try
      to destroy the ring, regardless of personal cost -- and his decision to leave
      Frodo behind is part of that commitment. Nothing that you've written on (and
      on) about has made me change my mind about that. It has rather convinced me
      that you've no idea what point I was making and so are arguing something that
      ultimately wanders all over the place and still doesn't acknowledge the point
      I originally made.

      Grace Monk

    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.