Re: Individual reactions to various...

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3 10:05 AM
      Hello-- I would say that if you buy into the current theories of
      mind/brain development, this would make an interesting study. I doubt
      -- a whole lot-- that you would find any sort of causal relationship.
      Or, if you did, it would be pretty trivial.

      Personally, I think the "brain chemistry" approach to human choices is
      overrated in the literature, and will shortly be countered with
      evidence that's it's a "Chicken or the egg" question. The question of
      mind, choice, taste and individual reactions to any art form,
      including literature, is far too complex to be reduced to this
      particular paradigm in research. (Or, the example of "falling in love"
      that you begin with.)

      Th epremise seems, at first reading, to be reductionistic with results
      that are predictable, rather like the recent attempts to diagnose dead
      romantic poets as "manic depressives" by the psychiatric community.
      Sells books, but it remains an unproven load of (insert adjective)
      because the researchers did not avail themselves of any of the *known*
      facts concerning the goals and aims of the Romantic Movement. Not to
      mention the initial idiocy of diagnosing a person who is (at least) a
      century dead and buried.

      Sorry if I offend, but I, too, am a human science researcher, and I
      quite disagree with your basic premise from the get-go.

      BTW: When my daughter was 17, Elijah Wood was on her "eeewwww ick"
      list. Low point in the first film for both of us. Lezlie

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@p...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone;
      >
      > I've been exploring the roots of some interesting
      neurological/biochemical research...
      > Why do people fall in love with those they do? Why do separated
      twins develop similar tastes
      > after decades apart? Why do we develop our tastes & aversions about
      literature, shoes, vehicles,....?

      > I wonder how much of our responses to literature are "guided" (not
      governed) by our inner
      > chemistry? I've 9probably unfortunately) found that my most intense
      place during the decades when my hormones were at their most active.
      > Has anyone else in the Myth Soc. had any thoughts on this? Our
      biochemistry having an effect on what we "bond to" as our life's most
      meaningful experiences? I put forth none of this as any sort of dogma.
      I'm truly curious at this time as to the nature of criticism,
      evaluating what is most powerful to any given indivudual.

      > If I were 17 right now, I'd be head over heels with images of Harry
      P., Elijah Wood, you name it.
      > Would that be considered "clouded literary judgment"? I think so!
      >
      > The world-building Tolkien instinctively engaged in is a unique
      complex accomplishment.
      > I can't vouch for Rowling. I've been curious about her academic
      background, whether it indicates
      > a sophistication that would support her world-building. Just today,
      Tim & I (& a guest) discussed Shakespeare; What in Will's background
      would indicate his level of expertise as pertinent to his writing.