Re: [mythsoc] O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter (spoiler at end)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 3, 2005
      On Aug 3, 2005, at 1:33 AM, David Bratman wrote:

      > At 12:17 AM 8/3/2005 -0400, Grace Monk wrote:
      >
      >> All you've written merely convinces me that I am correct in my
      >> assessment of what Sam did. ... He makes the right decision to
      >> further the quest. It's as simple as that.
      >
      > Well, you can try to deny that Sam himself twice changes his mind
      > over the decision, but you won't get very far doing so.

      David, Grace has not nor is she now "trying to deny that Sam changed
      his mind over the decision". She just doesn't agree with you (or Sam)
      that Sam made the **wrong** decision(s).

      One might just as well say to you, David, that "You can try to deny
      that Sam saved the Quest by his decisions, but you won't get very far
      doing so". But of course that would as far beside your point as your
      own statement is beside Grace's point.
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.