Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Choices of Master Samwise

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 3, 2005
      On Aug 3, 2005, at 1:21 AM, David Bratman wrote:

      > At 10:24 PM 8/2/2005 -0400, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
      >
      >> There is _no indication whatsoever_ that, thinking Frodo dead, he
      >> intended to go back and carry Frodo anywhere at all. It seems
      >> quite clear to me that, when he decides to go back after all, he
      >> does so with the intention of sitting with Frodo and waiting for
      >> what he regards as the inevitable failure of the Quest, and the
      >> consequent ruin of Middle-earth
      >
      > And that is exactly what I said, so I am baffled as to why you are
      > trying to argue with me about it.

      Errrrrmmmm.... HUH!?

      Let's review:

      Grace said Sam made the **right** decision.

      You insist Sam made the **wrong** decision, and even question whether
      Grace read the rest of the chapter.

      Grace stands by her evaluation that it was the **right** decision.

      You reply that "Sam is perfectly **capable of carrying** a near-
      comatose Frodo later on, and if he'd carried him in the manner that
      Sean Astin carries Elijah Wood (though he didn't), he could have
      carried him completely comatose too. Staying there and not moving,
      mutely waiting for the Orcs to come, is not the only other option";
      and then proclaim that Sam in fact made "Two **wrong** decisions, not
      just one! Thank you for reminding me of that."

      I point out that "There is **_no indication whatsoever_ that,
      thinking Frodo dead, he intended to go back and carry Frodo**
      anywhere at all"; and reiterate that in both my and Grace's view, Sam
      made the **right** decision.

      You then say that this is "exactly what you said".

      And _YOU'RE_ the one who is baffled?
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.