Re: [mythsoc] O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter (spoiler at end)

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 2, 2005
      In a message dated 8/2/2005 7:11:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:
      The point of the part of this story is not that Sam makes the right or wise
      decision. He doesn't, he's as fallible as anyone. The point is that
      divine mercy saves him because he approaches his task with the right
      intent, same as it does for Frodo later.
      ------

      The original point was that Harry's actions in the underground scene with
      Dumbledore reminded me of the scene when Sam leaves Frodo.

      The next point is that Sam made the right choice to do so.

      Beyond that, there isn't any worthwhile discussion. All you've written merely
      convinces me that I am correct in my assessment of what Sam did. (And if he'd
      known Frodo was alive, what would he have done to escape the orcs? What could
      he have done? He only escaped because he was invisible. What would he have
      done to make Frodo invisible? Perhaps you also should read it again.) He makes
      the right decision to further the quest. It's as simple as that.

      Grace Monk

    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.