The Choices of the Mythsoc Admin:

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
      --- Original Message ---
      From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

      > It's odd to me how only certain viewpoints from certain people elicit
      > any moderatorial response on this list, while other clearly hostile
      > rhetoric and comments like this go unremarked. And I know that I am
      > not the only one to feel so....

      The short answer: because the moderator, being imperfect, is not perfectly
      consistent.

      The longer answer: sometimes the moderator's attention is elsewhere, and
      sometimes the moderator hopes that the dispute will exhaust itself without
      intervention.

      Generally, I try for minimal intervention and hope that the listmembers will be
      moderate without my intervention. It's always a judgement call as to when and
      how to intervene, and my judgement is by definition not the same as anyone
      else's. Perhaps that's not an entirely satisfying or satisfactory response, but
      there it is.

      Joan
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
        OK, I appreciate that (both the fact and your acknowledging it, and
        of course the reasons for it -- seriously, thanks).

        Carl

        ----

      • Walkermonk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
          In a message dated 8/2/2005 10:09:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
          Joan.Marie.Verba@... writes:
          Generally, I try for minimal intervention and hope that the listmembers will
          be
          moderate without my intervention. It's always a judgement call as to when and
          how to intervene, and my judgement is by definition not the same as anyone
          else's. Perhaps that's not an entirely satisfying or satisfactory response,
          but
          there it is.
          ------

          I think you're doing a perfectly fine job at present. And I appreciate Carl's
          concern. David and I disagree. It has happened on a number of occasions. :-)
          Last I checked, we both survive and I perhaps even manage to learn something
          (can't speak for David on that, of course) every now and then from the
          arguments.

          And I do find it amusing in retrospect that as much as I enjoyed HP6, I only
          get riled up when we start discussing Tolkien. Just a reaffirmation of how
          deeply imbedded that story is -- and really, how much of my life has been shaped
          by it.

          Grace Monk

        • Bonnie Callahan
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
            Hi everyone:

            I just sent out a message, should've appended "contact me off-list" IF you feel inclined
            to do so, as the material I shared might be considered too far outside the purview of the
            group's focus.

            Bonnie C.