Re: [mythsoc] O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter (spoiler at end)

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 2, 2005
      In a message dated 8/2/2005 1:16:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:
      At 09:09 AM 8/2/2005 -0400, Grace Monk wrote:

      >Wrong decision? Now you've lost me. If he hadn't taken the ring and left
      >Frodo, what would have happened? The complete failure of the quest and his
      and
      >Frodo's death (at best) at the hand of the orcs. Sam made the right decision.

      Didn't you read the rest of the chapter?

      Here's Sam changing his mind when he still thinks it wrong to do so:

      "I can't help it. My place is by Mr. Frodo. They must understand that --
      Elrond and the Council and the great Lords and Ladies with all their
      wisdom. Their plans have gone wrong. I can't be their Ring-bearer. Not
      without Mr. Frodo."

      And here he is realizing that changing his mind had been the right thing to
      do:

      "I got it all wrong! I knew I would. Now they've got him, the devils; the
      filth! Never leave your master, never, never: that was my right rule. And
      I knew it in my heart. May I be forgiven! Now I've got to get back to
      him. Somehow, somehow!"
      -------

      And since you were so kind to quote JRRT's beautiful words to me, I will
      return the favor:

      "They've taken everything, Sam," said Frodo. "Everything I had. Do you
      understand? Everything!" He cowered on the floor again with bowed head, as his own
      words brought home to him the fullness of the disaster, and despair overwhelmed
      him. "The quest has failed, Sam. Even if we get out of here, we can't escape.
      Only Elves can escape. Away, away out of Middle-earth, far away over the Sea.
      If even that is wide enough to keep the Sahdow out."

      "No, not everything, Mr. Frodo. And it hasn't failed, not yet. I took it, Mr.
      Frodo, begging your pardon. And I've kept it safe."

    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.