Re: [mythsoc] O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter (spoiler at end)

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 2, 2005
      In a message dated 8/2/2005 1:16:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:
      >Wrong decision? Now you've lost me. If he hadn't taken the ring and left
      >Frodo, what would have happened? The complete failure of the quest and his
      and
      >Frodo's death (at best) at the hand of the orcs. Sam made the right decision.

      Didn't you read the rest of the chapter?
      ---

      Why, yes, yes I did. Didn't you read the rest of the trilogy? Sam thinks what
      he does is wrong, but it isn't. It saves the quest. How can that be wrong,
      regardless of his emotional reaction? If he had stayed with Frodo, he and Frodo
      and the ring would have been captured and brought to Sauron and the quest
      would have failed. Just because Sam thinks leaving Frodo was wrong doesn't mean it
      was actually the wrong thing to do. If you wish to continue to think that Sam
      did the wrong thing by leaving Frodo and thereby saving the quest, I can't
      even begin to address your perspective. We will never agree on this. Ever.

      I still think my example of a good book making one want to read other books
      holds.

      And since we don't know the final outcome of what happens at the birdbath, it
      isn't futile according to your dictionary. At the very least, the discovery
      is made that somewhere Harry has some help with destroying Voldemort. And I
      don't think the *action* is the only thing that matters here. As I posted before,
      what happens with Harry is extremely important.

      Grace Monk

    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.