Re: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 2, 2005
      (You will notice, David, that my defense of the HP books is cheerful and
      nonviolent. As opposed to my defense of LOTR re the movies that shall remain
      nameless. I hope that demonstrates my level of passion toward each series. And of
      course I know that JRRT wrote LOTR as one long story. I'm not sure why I even
      threw that in except to allow myself a gratuitous but satisfying shot, not that
      they'll ever feel it, at those who don't finish the trilogy! But I still
      think my argument using the Lord Peter books as an example holds. -- grace)

    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.