RE: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 2 6:16 AM
      Like Grace, I thought the Birdbath scene was actually rather
      signifigant. I have a feeling there was more to it than we were seeing
      on the surface. Remember we were seeing it from Harry's point of view
      -- the narrator wasn't telling us what Dumbledore might have known about
      it. And recall that Rowling has frequently "replayed" scenes that were
      mysterious or ambiguous and clarified them -- through the Pensieve, or
      with the Time Turner, for example. I have a theory about what was really
      in that birdbath... And I'm witholding judgment about the series as a
      whole until I read the final book.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14 9:26 PM
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.