Re: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 2, 2005
      In a message dated 8/2/2005 12:18:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:
      Ah, there's a difference. Did you notice that Sam realizes he made the
      wrong decision and changes his mind?
      -----

      Wrong decision? Now you've lost me. If he hadn't taken the ring and left
      Frodo, what would have happened? The complete failure of the quest and his and
      Frodo's death (at best) at the hand of the orcs. Sam made the right decision.

      Hard as it is to believe, I do know people who haven't finished LOTR.

      To me, HP1 isn't a complete story. There's an end to the book, but it's for
      me an unsatisfactory ending and not the end to the story. Nor do I think that
      the birdbath of doom scene futile.

      Grace Monk

    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.