Re: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

  • Patrick Wynne
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 2 5:17 AM
      Lezlie <lezlie1@...> wrote:

      > I think the
      > real issue here is that it's so very popular, and the author is
      making
      > bundle off it. I think I have witnessed more than a few "Green-eyed
      > Dragons" amongst writers of fantasy—eh? Maybe we should all
      > just get over it and write our own stories. To each generation its
      own

      Talk about a cheap shot -- attempting to replace reasoned discussion
      of the merits and flaws of the books with an _ad hominem_ attack
      against those who find the books lacking.

      This approach is all too reminiscent of the sorts of comments that were
      freqently made on this list during discussions of the Jackson movies.
      People like me who found the movies lacking were often told, in effect:
      "The movies are wildly popular, have made a gajillion dollars, and were
      given a wheelbarrow full of Oscars. That proves we're right and you're
      wrong. Now get over it, shut up and go away."

      Sorry, but sales figures and big profits are NOT what determines
      artistic merit -- and as for Oscars, let's not forget that Marisa Tomei
      won an Oscar for "My Cousin Vinny". Enough said. Maybe what some
      of us need to get over is the fact that there will always be people who
      do not like the books and movies we like, and for perfectly valid
      reasons.

      -- Pat

      PS. I like the Harry Potter books just fine, thanks.
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14 9:26 PM
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.