Re: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 2 2:42 AM
      In an email dated 1/8/2005 5:56:24 pm GMT Daylight time, "Lezlie" <lezlie1@...> writes:

      > I think the
      > real issue here is that it's so very popular, and the author is making
      > bundle off it.  I think I have witnessed more than a few "Green-eyed
      > Dragons" amongst writers of fantasy—eh?  Maybe we should all just get
      > over it and write our own stories.  To each generation its own.

      Oh, please, no one here has made an argument anything like that. I know
      perfectly well that I'm not even going to write a good fantasy novel, let
      alone a great one. I don't begrudge Rowling the money she has made in the
      least. My only argument is that the Harry Potter books aren't as good as
      they're claimed to be. I'm not saying that they're bad books. They're
      passibly good books with some significant flaws in my opinion. They're
      just not in my list of the top ten children's fantasy series of all times.

      The fact that I'm not a writer doesn't prevent me from critizing the
      books. I'm tired of hearing certain other arguments about why I
      absolutely have to like the books. The fact that the books have got a
      lot of children to read books (if that's really true) doesn't mean that
      I'm stopping them from reading the books if I say that I'm not greatly
      impressed by them. I feel at times like I'm confronted by a religious
      cult if I criticize the books.

      Wendell Wagner
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14 9:26 PM
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.