Re: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 1 10:12 PM
      There is no comparison between the end of HP1 and the end of "The
      Fellowship of the RIng".

      For all that the question of handling Voldemort was left hanging at the end
      of HP1, and it was obvious that Harry _could_ have more adventures,
      Voldemort or no, HP1 is still a separate book, with an end. The sequels
      are sequels.

      Whereas FR was just volume 1 of a continuous story, written by the author
      as one continuous story and finished before any of it was published, and
      broken into separate volumes only by the publisher's commercial decision.

      HP1 has a conclusion, even though it's an open-ended conclusion. (Plenty
      of stories with open-ended conclusions only get sequels after they've
      proved to be successful, or never get sequels at all. If HP1 had bombed in
      the marketplace, HP2 would probably never have been published or maybe even
      written.) FR just stops in the middle of one continuous story.

      Several people have testified that they finished HP2 enjoying it well
      enough, but with no particular desire to go on to HP3. I can't believe
      that anyone who actually enjoyed "The Two Towers" could finish it and not
      want to go on to "The Return of the King".

      Grace wrote:

      >Sam has promised to try to forward the quest even if it hurts his heart to
      >leave his master; Harry has promised to do what Dumbledore says even if it
      >kills Dumbledore.

      Ah, there's a difference. Did you notice that Sam realizes he made the
      wrong decision and changes his mind?

      Also, the task that Sam and Frodo had set themselves was not futile.
      Whereas Harry and Dumbledore and the Birdbath of Doom ...

      DB
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14 9:26 PM
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.