Re: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 1, 2005
      In a message dated 8/1/2005 8:08:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
      bernip@... writes:
      I'm with Grace. I liked this one a lot better than the last. I thought
      there was plenty of plot development. My least favorite part was probably
      the Birdbath of Doom (as my David said someone referred to it as that
      somewhere).

      Berni
      ----

      Thanks, Berni.

      I actually was strongly moved by the Birdbath of Doom scene. I'll try to
      explain why (wish me luck!): Harry isn't big on obeying or passivity. He is
      impulsive, which I find likable in him, and takes action when he thinks he knows
      what's best, also a likable trait to me. In this scene, he has promised
      Dumbledore that he'll do what Dumbledore tells him, regardless. And he does, even
      though he hates what he's doing and is afraid he's killing his beloved headmaster.
      It reminded me a little bit -- just a little, mind -- of Sam in Shelob's cave.
      Sam has promised to try to forward the quest even if it hurts his heart to
      leave his master; Harry has promised to do what Dumbledore says even if it kills
      Dumbledore. It also reminds me, and as you know I mean no blaspheme at all
      here, a little of the agony of Christ in the Garden.

      Just my personal perceptions --

      Grace Monk

    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.