Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

  • saraciborski
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 1, 2005
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Walkermonk@a... wrote:

      > It's always interesting to me to read the very different reactions
      to HP6. Of all the HP books, this is the one I loved the most and
      found the most> fascinating and read much the quickest -- all the
      others didn't hold my interest
      > enough to stay up way, way late. ...
      > me the first two were the equivalent of cotton candy and so I don't
      agree with
      > David's opinion of their freshness, etc. They were fun but left me
      with no
      > desire to pursue the story further .....

      > Grace Monk

      My experience is the same. Although I enjoyed 1 and 2, I thought they
      were a bit light and wouldn't have read on had not one of my (adult)
      children urged me. The third book drew me in completely and I
      devoured the 4th and 5th (the 4th is my favorite and the best
      written, I think). And like Grace I was deeply moved by the 6th. But
      I haven't made any effort to analyze the writing or to understand why
      these books engage me, other than to think that my fondness for Harry
      (which I mentioned in an earlier post) has to be attributed to
      Rowling's skill in developing his character with care through dialog
      and incident.

      Sara Ciborski
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.