Re: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 1 3:56 PM
      In a message dated 8/1/2005 3:13:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
      bluewoad@... writes:
      What I find unfortunate about HP6 is that it feels to me a lot like
      filler. HP5 ended with a bang and HP7 will (hopefully) be as exciting,
      so what do we do in between? A lot of filler. For me, HP6 was 100
      pages of wrapping up what happened in HP5, 450 pages of hormones and
      snogging, then 100 pages setting up HP7. But the overall storyline,
      like a Robert Jordan novel, doesn't really go anywhere in HP6. Of all
      the HP books so far, this is the only one that left me almost entirely
      unsatisfied. However, I will return for series' end in the hopes that
      more of the fun that has so far characterized the series for me will
      be there. We'll see.

      --
      Matthew Winslow
      ------

      It's always interesting to me to read the very different reactions to HP6. Of
      all the HP books, this is the one I loved the most and found the most
      fascinating and read much the quickest -- all the others didn't hold my interest
      enough to stay up way, way late. On this one, I was up late and reading it at work
      and all that sort of thing. I enjoyed #3 and #4, hated #5 with much anger and
      almost didn't want to even bother any more (the entire book being a
      ridiculously obvious and out-of-character plot device). As I think I wrote earlier, to
      me the first two were the equivalent of cotton candy and so I don't agree with
      David's opinion of their freshness, etc. They were fun but left me with no
      desire to pursue the story further (I wouldn't have read the third if I hadn't
      felt compelled to keep up with my kids reading them and wishing to discuss
      them). So while I respect the intelligence behind the opinions that have no love
      for HP6, I can't agree. Harry's relationship with Dumbledore and the seen at
      the underground lake and on the tower and the revelation of Snape's character
      and actions touched me quite deeply and so for me, #6 is the best of the bunch.

      Grace Monk

      P.S. Having never read a Robert Jordan, I can't speak to that specific
      criticism. It may be totally valid; I just don't know.

    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14 9:26 PM
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.