Re: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 1 1:08 PM
      On 8/1/05, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > What it has to do with, in my opinion, is an author allowing uncontrolled
      > sequelitis to run a once-excellent concept into the ground. If I'm
      > resentful, it's as a reader who would like to see the talented Rowling do
      > something other than drag poor Harry through yet another gauntlet.

      We may agree here, David, so maybe clarification is needed, but when
      you write 'allowing uncontrolled sequelitis', it sounds like you're
      claiming that she didn't plan the entire series (to some degree) up
      front. From my understanding of the series and interviews Rowling has
      given, the size of the series was determined pretty early on (ie,
      before she secured a publishing contract) and with the success of HP1,
      she was able to realize the entire series.

      What I find unfortunate about HP6 is that it feels to me a lot like
      filler. HP5 ended with a bang and HP7 will (hopefully) be as exciting,
      so what do we do in between? A lot of filler. For me, HP6 was 100
      pages of wrapping up what happened in HP5, 450 pages of hormones and
      snogging, then 100 pages setting up HP7. But the overall storyline,
      like a Robert Jordan novel, doesn't really go anywhere in HP6. Of all
      the HP books so far, this is the only one that left me almost entirely
      unsatisfied. However, I will return for series' end in the hopes that
      more of the fun that has so far characterized the series for me will
      be there. We'll see.

      --
      Matthew Winslow
      mwinslow@...

      Currently Reading: Brilliance of the Moon by Lian Hearn
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14 9:26 PM
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.