Re: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 1 12:55 PM
      Lezlie's comment would be an excellent critique of the Harry Potter
      backlash that I mentioned in an earlier post ("an illogical burning
      resentment against the books for having the temerity to be popular"), but
      there's none of that been going on here. I thought we were having a
      discussion of whether HP6 was as enjoyable as the earlier books, and why or
      why not. This has nothing to do with whether it's popular, except insofar
      as its popularity is attracting our attention to this book rather than some
      other, and it certainly has nothing to do with jealousy.

      What it has to do with, in my opinion, is an author allowing uncontrolled
      sequelitis to run a once-excellent concept into the ground. If I'm
      resentful, it's as a reader who would like to see the talented Rowling do
      something other than drag poor Harry through yet another gauntlet.

      DB

      At 04:56 PM 8/1/2005 +0000, Lezlie wrote:
      >"Harry Potter" is a fine work, and young people love it. I think the
      >real issue here is that it's so very popular, and the author is making
      >bundle off it. I think I have witnessed more than a few "Green-eyed
      >Dragons" amongst writers of fantasy—eh? Maybe we should all just get
      >over it and write our own stories. To each generation its own.
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14 9:26 PM
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.