Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 1, 2005
      > > An Angela Brazil story with wands? Superficially it is a
      school with
      > >magic stuck on. ...

      Or, the "HP" series is a Diana Wynne Jones story with cars-- or a UK
      Le Guin "Earthsea" story with modern clothing-- all are equally
      uninteresting reductionistic comparisons without much merit. Very
      different writers approaching a similar subject. There's a scarecrow
      an alternate world setting in both "Howl's Moving Castle" and a more
      famous one in "Oz", and both became movies -- but the tales have
      little to do with one another.
      "Harry Potter" is a fine work, and young people love it. I think the
      real issue here is that it's so very popular, and the author is making
      bundle off it. I think I have witnessed more than a few "Green-eyed
      Dragons" amongst writers of fantasy—eh? Maybe we should all just get
      over it and write our own stories. To each generation its own. Lezlie

      > At 10:19 AM 7/29/2005 -0400, B.I. Davis wrote:
      >
      > > An Angela Brazil story with wands? Superficially it is a
      school with
      > >magic stuck on. But then, one could say, the Shire is really just
      > >an English suburb with short people in it, Bilbo's adventure is a
      map with
      > >a dragon in it, and the Elves of Gondolin are Crusaders with much
      cooler
      > >jewelry.
      >
      > No, there's a difference, which is that these comparisons are absurdly
      > reductionist for Tolkien, but not for the first Rowling book, which
      > accurately fits that description. (Yes, it has a moral element, but
      so do
      > most school stories.) It's not a criticism of the book to say this:
      > dumping magic unexpectedly into an otherwise ordinary situation has
      > produced some of the best light fantasies, and the first HP book fully
      > qualifies.
      >

      > >> turning on careful Talmudic distinctions between what Voldemort did
      > >> two years ago and what he did five years ago, so if the reader
      doesn't
      > >> remember the difference between what happened in _Harry Potter
      and the
      > >> Goblet of Secrets_ and what happened in _Harry Potter and the Fire of
      > >> Ashbacan_, Rowling will be sure to remind you;
      > >
      > >Is there an ox-goring I missed somewhere here? Though I take your
      point ...

      > The point is that the books are so repetitious that I quickly ceased
      being
      > able to remember the tiny differences among each.
      >

      > >Book 2 still have some "bounce" in it. But she couldn't really
      bounce Harry
      > >along for all seven books, could she?
      >
      > No, she couldn't. Which is why she should have stopped.
      >
      > David Bratman
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14, 2005
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.