RE: [mythsoc] Frodo Baggins, ABD

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
      A well done piece! But note that the writer seems to know only the PJ
      "version": He says that Frodo and Sam separate because of the
      deceptions of Gollum.

      Oh dear, oh dear,

      Beth

      Sure to ring true for those in academia:

      http://chronicle.com/jobs/2005/07/2005072801c.htm

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
        Wonderful! I Just finished mine, and this is just the right note at
        this moment! Lezlie

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Russell" <russells@s...> wrote:
        > A well done piece! But note that the writer seems to know only the PJ
        > "version": He says that Frodo and Sam separate because of the
        > deceptions of Gollum.
        >
        > Oh dear, oh dear,
        >
        > Beth

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
          My usual response to a student error of that nature was,
          "That happened in the film you obviously saw, not in the book you were
          supposed to read."

          Mike

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
            To be fair, the author says she's talking about the movie, but also tends
            to dump the book and movie together as if they were much the same.

            Another response of some professors less gentle than Mike is to plop a copy
            of the book in front of the student and say, "Show me in here where it says
            that."

            DB

            At 12:59 PM 7/31/2005 -0500, Mike Foster wrote:
            >My usual response to a student error of that nature was,
            >"That happened in the film you obviously saw, not in the book you were
            >supposed to read."
            >
            >Mike
            >
            >Beth Russell wrote:
            >
            >>A well done piece! But note that the writer seems to know only the PJ
            >>"version": He says that Frodo and Sam separate because of the
            >>deceptions of Gollum.
            >>
            >>Oh dear, oh dear,
            >>
            >>Beth

          • Lezlie