Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter (No spoilers!)

  • Ernest Davis
    Message 1 of 71 , Jul 29, 2005
      David Bratman writes:
      > It was amusing enough for one book, the theme of which was the astonishment
      > value of going to what's otherwise a perfectly ordinary English Public
      > School except that it has magic.

      An Angela Brazil story with wands? Superficially it is a school with
      magic stuck on. But then, one could say, the Shire is really just
      an English suburb with short people in it, Bilbo's adventure is a map with
      a dragon in it, and the Elves of Gondolin are Crusaders with much cooler
      jewelry.

      I think that Rowling has the gift of creating very memorable images,
      and for children Hogwarts is a very real place.

      > turning on careful Talmudic distinctions between what Voldemort did
      > two years ago and what he did five years ago, so if the reader doesn't
      > remember the difference between what happened in _Harry Potter and the
      > Goblet of Secrets_ and what happened in _Harry Potter and the Fire of
      > Ashbacan_, Rowling will be sure to remind you;

      Is there an ox-goring I missed somewhere here? Though I take your point ...

      There is an element of repetitiveness in her plots, but I like to think
      of Hogwarts as a kind of kiddie Valhalla: slay the monster, have a big
      feast, slay the monster again. Personally, I enjoy this kind of thing.

      > Was it really as bright, fresh, and bouncy as I remember?

      Book 2 still have some "bounce" in it. But she couldn't really bounce Harry
      along for all seven books, could she? I like what she does wth the last
      four books, particularly #3.

      B.I. Davis
    • Larry Swain
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 14 9:26 PM
        ONe tidbit I didn't see mentioned in the various takes on the theory: at the end Harry rather considers "getting Snape" as a possible by-product, but isn't overly concerned with Snape or Malfoy. One could counter that he is focused on Voldemort, but I'm not sure I buy that as just putting Snape out of mind.