Re: [mythsoc] Darth Vader- Prowes or Jones?

  • David F. Porteous
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8 4:12 PM
      <<I
      believe that Prowes did not know that this would be done and was very upset
      by the decision - especiallly as it is Jones' face that is finally seen.>>

      I believe Prowes was nothing short of pissed off. But isn't it Prowes' face
      that is seen last? Vader is white, and Jones was Black -- and still is. I
      know it could be done with make-up, but it didn't look or sound a bit like
      him, which would defeat the purpose of Jones being brought in. JEJ also did
      the voice of the bad guy in one of my favourite cartoons -- Flight of
      Dragons -- the sound track of which was by Don MacLean, whose album I can
      see from where I am sitting.

      <<Yes, it was quite a
      fun way to pass an evening, but the script was pretty bad and I found Mark
      Hamil annoying. Worth watching, but I can't see why it inspires such
      devotion. But then I am a Trek person... >>

      Many people might say the same thing about Gene's baby as George's. I like
      both, but ST has had hundreds of hours to establish all the characters while
      SW had to do it all in two hours a film. It's hard to draw comparisons.

      <<it wasn't as bad as Star Trek V>>

      That was the one where they actually went to find God wasn't it? Nimoy was
      a much better director than Shatner, he understood that the relationships
      between the crew were underpinned by comedy -- Bones' "Damn it Jim's",
      Scotty's "I'm givin' her all she's got captain!", Spock's eyebrow. Shatner
      fell into the trap of trying to produce pure drama. Possibly TNG could get
      away with that, but not the original cast.

      <<(aparrently his original script was even worse)>>

      How? How is that even possible? Was Kirk a mime? "Is he doing "hail them"
      or "photon torpedoes, maximum yield, full spread"?" Was Spock doing Woody
      Allen pieces to camera? Was there some kind of sweaty love scene between
      Bones and Scotty? Hang on, was the whole thing shot on a shoe-string budget
      in down town LA, without the Enterprise? Was Uhura voiced by James Earl
      Jones? Spocks ears fell off all the time, the computer swore, Bones was
      abusing drugs, everything was psychadelic colours and it went under the
      working title of Star Trek V: The Phantom Menace?

      D.
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8 7:05 PM
        dporteous@... writes:

        > JEJ also did
        > the voice of

        "THIS is CNN," is in the portentous James Earl Jones voice, too. Husband
        Conrad knew him at drama school, Univ of Michigan and years and years ago,
        when he was unknown we went to NYC and saw him in the off-Broadway "Moon on a
        Rainbow Shawl." Don't remember what it was about, just the title & that we
        visited Jones backstage afterwards.

        Mary S
      • Diane Joy Baker
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9 6:53 AM