Frodo Baggins, ABD

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
      Sure to ring true for those in academia:

      http://chronicle.com/jobs/2005/07/2005072801c.htm

      Janet Brennan Croft
    • Beth Russell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
        A well done piece! But note that the writer seems to know only the PJ
        "version": He says that Frodo and Sam separate because of the
        deceptions of Gollum.

        Oh dear, oh dear,

        Beth

        Sure to ring true for those in academia:

        http://chronicle.com/jobs/2005/07/2005072801c.htm

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Lezlie
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
          Wonderful! I Just finished mine, and this is just the right note at
          this moment! Lezlie

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Russell" <russells@s...> wrote:
          > A well done piece! But note that the writer seems to know only the PJ
          > "version": He says that Frodo and Sam separate because of the
          > deceptions of Gollum.
          >
          > Oh dear, oh dear,
          >
          > Beth

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
            My usual response to a student error of that nature was,
            "That happened in the film you obviously saw, not in the book you were
            supposed to read."

            Mike

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
              To be fair, the author says she's talking about the movie, but also tends
              to dump the book and movie together as if they were much the same.

              Another response of some professors less gentle than Mike is to plop a copy
              of the book in front of the student and say, "Show me in here where it says
              that."

              DB

              At 12:59 PM 7/31/2005 -0500, Mike Foster wrote:
              >My usual response to a student error of that nature was,
              >"That happened in the film you obviously saw, not in the book you were
              >supposed to read."
              >
              >Mike
              >
              >Beth Russell wrote:
              >
              >>A well done piece! But note that the writer seems to know only the PJ
              >>"version": He says that Frodo and Sam separate because of the
              >>deceptions of Gollum.
              >>
              >>Oh dear, oh dear,
              >>
              >>Beth

            • Lezlie