Re:Re: Fan Fic

  • Cai Cherie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2005
      Ellen, thank you for coming out of lurkdom. You have made your point so well it makes me wonder if my point is rather, well, strange. While there have been many books it grieved me to finish, so full and wonderful were their worlds, I have never wanted to read books by others set in those worlds, nor write stories located there. What I have wanted to do is create more of the extrodinary feelings I've had while reading such books, and even more, to somehow touch the source of those feelings and bring back a small part of its grace -- and the only way I could think to do that was to imagine or write my own stuff set in worlds I could create. It just never occured to me to write or imagine within someone else's world.

      The thought of doing so, of writing in someone else's world made and makes me feel shy. And besides, how would that get me closer to the source of the magic in such things? What makes these beloved worlds so haunting is the unity of sensibility behind them. Wouldn't it be ungrateful, and ultimetly unsatisfying and bootless, to lessen that unity? Shouldn't one go thru one's own unity of sensibility?

      I'm thinking of Narnia here, a world that from childhood has felt more real than real to me. But I've never been tempted to write within it. It's a gift from Lewis and who takes a gift and scribbles over it? (This is not meant as a criticism of anyone else's actions, I'm just describing my own, obviously rather odd, feelings.)

      But what I did want to do is figure out how to do something similar myself. Its like if a child is given a map of the London of fairytales, folklore and history. There is a bridge on it, London Bridge. Then she goes off to camp and feels restless when she is supposed to be napping. She slips out into the woods and starts fiddeling with twigs and moss and pinecones. And before she knows it, she is building a miniture city. Its not London; its Twigtown. But she remembers the picture of London Bridge and the feeling it gave her, so she uses that memory to help her to build Twig Bridge, which runs over the Moss river down towards a bay that leads to the ocean because she really loves wide views and therefore Twigtown needs alot more water than London.

      I wanted the feeling of reading Narnia, the feeling of looking at the picture of London Bridge, the feeling I got at the inlet where the bay opened onto the ocean. I wanted all of that plus something nameless, something at the back of all that that was more, more of it, not just in quantity but in quality; its source. And the only way I could find this was by imaginative searching into the unknown. Because it was waiting for me, I knew that because it was calling to me by name, guiding me on. I just had to go.

      If I never stepped into the unknown, as Lewis and Tolkein and whoever drew up "A Child's Map of London" had done, I would never have be able to find bits of what I really want; The Land (or really, the feeling) of the Heart's Desire. And even when I find a bit of it of course I still go back to bring back more. Because its still calling to me. And, I assume, will always call to me untill I with death I find it in fullness.

      .>As some of you are aware, I had originally hoped to turn the
      >story of Beren and Luthien into a ballet,

      I can think of few things more beautiful. I hope some day you suceed.

      > (To quote Cai, I was both "lacking in" and "unsure of" my own
      >vision.)

      I'd say more unsure. Which is perhaps a more more normal state than mine. I have certain sureities within me that logically make no sense at all.

      > To make a very long story short, the ballet The
      >Willow Maiden was a success, the novel based on the ballet (and greatly
      >expanding upon it) is nearly complete in a first draft,

      Congradulations. You've made it obvious that you have used fan fiction really well. I guess I just fear that people will get stuck in aping something outside of themselves and never get passed it.

      I have a feeling you have probobly written a very beautiful novel.

      Cai