Fw: online course on JRRT

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2005
      FYI--attend a class in Wales, virtually...

      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)
      ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 07/26/2005 11:24 AM -----

      "David Wyatt" <wyattd1@...>
      07/26/2005 05:37 AM

      <tcw27@...>, <curatrix@...>, <tolksoc@...>,
      <chairman@...>, <Eruenion@...>,
      <gildor@...>, <xkennedy@...>,
      <edith.crowe@...>, <fallingstars@...>,
      <spymaster@...>, <charles_wms_soc@...>,
      <americantolkiensociety@...>, <beyondbree@...>
      cc
      <fimid@...>
      Subject
      The Foundations of Middle-earth: Myth, Language and Ideology in J. R
      .R. Tolkien*s Literature

      Dear Sir/Madam,

      I should be extremely grateful if you could bring the above online course
      the attention of your members. The course will examine Tolkien's awareness
      of
      northern European mythologies, and languages, as well as other aspects of
      his
      scholarly background such as anthropology and archaeology, and how he used
      them
      creatively in writing his fantasy Literature, mainly known by The Hobbit,
      The
      Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. The course which will commence on
      3rd
      October 2005 is an academically accredited course at undergraduate year
      one
      level, however it is available to all adults over 18.

      For further details please visit:
      http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/learn/archaeol/Tolkien_online.php

      Best wishes,
      Dr David Wyatt.

      Dr David Wyatt
      Co-ordinating Lecturer for History
      Centre of Lifelong Learning
      Cardiff University.

    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 2005
        I'm reading about the 1979 animated film of _The Lion, the Witch and the
        Wardrobe_ by CTW & the Episcopal Radio-TV foundation. I've found where the
        project was underwritten by the J. Walter Thompson ad agency & Kraft Inc.,
        who were offering $3 million to finance the entire series, with Kraft as the
        only sponsor. (Details are from a 1977 article in the NY Times.) Does anyone
        know what happened to the idea of the entire series being adapted? The
        two-part broadcast of the film won its time slot both nights, with an even
        greater number watching part two, and the special won an Emmy. What halted
        the plans?

        Thanks, Hugh