Re: [mythsoc] OT: Cat in the Hat & Pooh

  • Hugh Davis
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 22, 2005
      Thanks. I'll try and find it.

      >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
      >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] OT: Cat in the Hat & Pooh
      >Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:43:49 -0700
      >
      >At 01:57 PM 7/22/2005 -0400, Hugh Davis wrote:
      > >What is Milne's fantasy novel? I'm embarrassed to say I don't know it.
      >
      >It is titled "Once On a Time" and may be found here and there.
      >
      >DB

    • saraciborski
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 25, 2005
        > It was amusing enough for one book, the theme of which was the
        astonishment
        > value of going to what's otherwise a perfectly ordinary English
        Public
        > School except that it has magic. But the further on the series
        progresses
        > the more I wish Rowling had stopped there. I've sludged through
        about a
        > quarter of book 6's turgid, overweight prose, full of detailed
        picayune
        > conversations, in which Harry yells crossly at his professors and
        everybody
        > else, turning on careful Talmudic distinctions between what
        Voldemort did
        > two years ago and what he did five years ago,
        ....and then I went back to the
        > first book. Was it really as bright, fresh, and bouncy as I
        remember? It
        > is. What a shame, what a bloody shame.

        Well, I will venture an opinion contrary to David's scathing one (and
        to the negative views expressed in a couple of other posts). I love
        all the Harry Potter books and I think the 6th, though not the best
        of the lot, is a great read. They are not literary masterpieces and
        the themes are at times muddled. But they are wonderfully engaging
        portrayals of some delightful characters, both children and adults.
        What draws me into Rowling's world and holds me there through
        occasional lapses in the writing is Harry himself: what counts in the
        story, what decides the outcome is not the magic tricks he does but
        his mix of courage, determination, longing (for his parents),
        ingenuity, loyalty, recklessness, fun-lovingness and other qualities
        that develop as he grows up. I would have missed getting to know him,
        had Rowling stopped with the bright, fresh and bouncy first book.

        Sara Ciborski
      • Hugh Davis
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 26, 2005
          http://www.holycomics.com/

          Apparently "inspired" by Captain Marvel, this new comic features a superhero
          powered by Jehovah. The writer said in an online interview that he felt this
          would elevate God to the same comic status as Norse or Olympic gods,
          pointing out that Thor has done more to spread Norse mythology than any
          mythology class or book.

          Given one of the Muslim villains is a terrorist named "Sodom," my gut
          reaction says this will lean to the offensive side, but I'll reserve
          judgement at this point.

          Hugh Davis
        • Cai Cherie
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 26, 2005
            The Rowling backlash has begun. And good it should, since anything so popular should be questioned. But I'm going to play angel's advocate here. I am going to contend that Rowling is actually a better, more complex author than even her usual advocates contend. I'm practiced at this since my teen-age daughter, head, heart and senses deep in a Margret Attwood novel, has taken great delight in pointing out to me Rowlings failings.

            What I have found interesting is that these failings are the exact same ones that my daughter took great pleasure pointing out to me after reading "David Copperfield," (D.C. is one of my favorite novels -- thou just as "unsophisticated" as the Harry Potter books. And as with so many with the Potter books, first and perhaps best read as a child.)

            Think of it -- Dickens, a strong writer if there ever was one, created totally induvidualized characters who were so vibrant and archetypical that many of them have lived independent lives since. Dickens displayed extrodinary descriptive inventiveness-- names, characters, incidences and objects so strange yet pleasing that they are unforgetable. He has been popular (thou often unfashionable among the literary chi-chi) since Pickwick. He has been reviled for flat main characters who don't change enough (actually, what they do is develope, remaining uniquily themselves while growing in understanding and action,) for black and white thinking about good and evil (yet Steerforth is more weakly selfish and vain than evil, while Heep's ill-doing, thou consiously self-chosen and therefor an outright evil, has roots, thou not excuses, in some of the class injustices that Dickens faces and explores. Heep operates as what David might have become if David's heart had been less generous
            and his head more calculating. Hmmm-- abit like Harry Potter and Tom Riddle?) Both Dicken's streangths (leading to charges of too much weary-making invention masking lack of depth) and these two supposed weaknesses have been charged against Rowling. The objection agaist Dickens that is irefutable, that he was a sexist pigglet with inadequately-imagined female characters, is true of most 19th century authors and many early 20th century ones as well. Its a generic failing and Dickens's one great failing that Rowling, thanks to the simple accident of having been born female and now rather than then, is free of.

            My guess is what really can rile people about Dickens (thou thankfully my daughter missed this one) is the sincerety of his characters. People who aren't sincere can't imagine realistic characters who are. The possibility that such characters exist throws their world out of wack, since it suggests that they have turned therir backs on a primary and possible virtue. While too great sincerity has not been a charge anyone at Mythlore has thrown against the Potter characters, it is one that I have heard elsewhere.

            To put it far too simplisticely, Rowling was fathered by Chesterton and grandfathered by Dickens to emerge as ... totally herself. I feel blest to be around to read her. What she wrights about is the forming of character, the education of an induvidual who is both extrodinary and everyperson(as is every soul,) whose main gift is the ability to love.

            She is a strong author with a definite taste, which means her streangths are very strong and her weaknesses obvious. Some have a yen for her work more than others. People who enjoy her most probobly prefer Dickens over Thackery. I not only look gratefully forward to the last Potter book(-must- find out what is going on with Snape and if it follows my suspicions) but to what Rowling writes afterwards. She is still reletevly young. If the Potter books are a bit like Dickens earlier stuff, just think of what might follow. I'm sure whatever she writes withh be thouroughly unique and suprising, yet (groan, groan) I nevertheless have great expectations for our mutual friend.

            By the way, speaking of generosity, I have come to see these posts we write as gifts. We are trying to give something to each other. So before writing anything -- I ask myself -- is this something I want to give? I think its a helpful question to ask oneself before posting. I hope you don't mind this gift.

            Cai

            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 26, 2005
              In a message dated 7/25/2005 10:46:27 PM Central Standard Time,
              saraciborski@... writes:

[...]

              -------------

              Sara, I agree with many of your points. In contrast to David B.'s
              experience, I found the first one to be enjoyable like candy is enjoyable -- sweet,
              quick, and gone. The second one didn't do much more for me, I enjoyed the third
              and fourth, and hated much of the fifth. In fact, I was actually angry about
              the fifth one. It had a couple of really good scenes, but the overall
              structure and the ending conversation between Dumbledore and Harry especially grated
              on me. And then somehow I find myself loving "Half-Blood Prince." I really
              feel strongly about it.

              Thanks for your post!
              Grace Monk

            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 26, 2005
                Yes, I have to agree with both of you. It's character that does it for
                me, and there is that Dickensian way with both the eccentric and
                sympathetic characters, and even (or perhaps especially) the villains.
                And there's the background, the elaboate twists and cliff-hangers, the
                sense of a whole elaborate and crowded world. Thank goodness she's gone
                light on the death-of-Tiny-Tim sort of pathos that ruind Dickens for
                many people. I know David doesn't like Dickens much, and maybe that's
                the difference -- Dickens people and those who aren't Dickens people may
                have different reactions to Rowling.

                I didn't like Harry much in Book 5 either, but now I find him more
                sympathetic...

                SPOILER ALERT

                Though I am getting REALLY TIRED of heroes telling their girlfriends
                that it's too dangerous to be with them. Let the girl make up her own
                mind how much danger she's willing to face, fer heaven's sake! Though I
                can't see Harry's girl sitting meekly at home and staying out of
                things... She'll find a way to fight by his side.

                Janet Brennan Croft

                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 26, 2005
                  I think Janet's is an astute observation. Rowlings has always
                  reminded me of Dickens more than anyone, and it's a wild-and-woolly
                  type of imagination, especially with characters, that I find
                  enormously attractive.

                  My kids (aged 7 to 24) and I all love HP, and some of us are going to
                  be re-reading the entire series in the next year in order to put
                  together our own scenarios of how we think JKR will finish it all up.

                  I, too, was somewhat annoyed with Harry in book 5, but felt it was not
                  only important for the boy's character arc as an adolescent, but may
                  also have plot significance which will only be illumined in no. 7.
                  Loved number 6--Harry's maturity, the tightness of the plot, and the
                  maddening cliffhanger about a certain character-who-will-not-be-named.

                  Debra Murphy

                  Signup at www.doteasy.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 29, 2005
                    At 08:22 AM 7/26/2005 -0700, Cai Cherie wrote:

                    > The Rowling backlash has begun.

                    I'm curious as to what generated that remark, for two reasons.

                    First, the "Rowling backlash," which I'd define as an illogical burning
                    resentment against the books for having the temerity to be popular, has
                    been around since the first book. It sounds like you hadn't noticed this;
                    if not, where have you been?

                    Second, I don't recall anything on this list that could fairly be described
                    as part of a "Rowling backlash." Certainly not from me: I went out of my
                    way to say that I liked the first book and still do, and my post was merely
                    a report that I found book 6 to be turgid and overweight.

                    I find it interesting that the defenses of the book 6 that have come in
                    since my post are not really disagreements with the problems I cited with
                    it. I'm not sure if I should infer an acknowledgment that these problems
                    are there, but the emphasis has been on why people who've enjoyed it have
                    done so anyway, and what I might be lacking that I did not do so.

                    The consensus seems to be that I'm just not that much into the characters.

                    Well, it's true that the qualities I most admire in fiction are captivating
                    prose and a compelling plot, not the personally-appealing qualities of the
                    characters. But on the other hand I do expect the characterization to be
                    moving: this is the reason I can't get into Thursday Next - the prose is
                    great, but I can't figure out who these characters are or why I should care
                    about them.

                    And more relevantly there's this: it appears that among most Harry Potter
                    fans the least-liked book is number 4. But that one was my favorite after
                    number 1. Why? Because unlike numbers 2-3, where everything in the book
                    was at the direct service of the plot, in number 4 there was room for the
                    characterization to live and breathe and go off in directions of its own.
                    I felt that this time I really got to know Harry and his friends as people.

                    So I respectfully deny any implication that I have trouble dealing with
                    books whose greatest virtue is the characterization. I wouldn't have
                    thought, from what I read of it, that in-depth characterization was HP6's
                    particular virtue anyway.

                    I do, however, freely admit that when I read a good story, my first thought
                    on finishing is NOT "I want to find out what happens to them next." What
                    happens to them next should be what happens after the end of every good
                    story: they live happily ever after, or at the very least ride off into the
                    sunset. Tolkien understood this: when beginning LOTR he went to great
                    efforts to figure out how to write a sequel to _The Hobbit_ that didn't
                    undercut the earlier book's ending, that Bilbo "remained very happy to the
                    end of his days." And the ending of LOTR was a beautifully modulated mix
                    of the "happily ever after" and "ride off into the sunset" kinds of
                    endings. Narnia works because the books are different kinds of stories
                    about different characters. But if you keep writing story after story
                    about the same characters, the tendency is to just keep throwing more and
                    bigger problems at them. I don't find the position of "Well, Harry's an
                    interesting character; how's he gonna handle THIS doozy?" to be sufficient
                    to keep me reading. There's no closure, no satisfaction, the created world
                    tends to collapse in on itself and the improbability level starts climbing,
                    and a terrible sense of ennui rises up.

                    The end of a singleton Harry Potter book would have given off an air of
                    Harry settling down at Hogwarts after learning his way around, and yeah
                    that brush with Voldemort was dicey, wasn't it? Maybe, since Rowling is
                    trying to turn towards more adult stories, she could have written one
                    sequel set in year 7 or after graduation in which Harry and Voldemort have
                    a second and final showdown, and whose beginning would allude to the
                    successes and minor adventures of the intervening years.

                    David Bratman
                  • Debra Murphy
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 30, 2005
                      This is interesting to me that you have this reaction, Dave, to the end of LotR, because I have a completely different reaction to it. In my view, it is one of the most heartbreaking endings in literature. Not overtly tragic, like Tess of the d-Urbervilles, sure; Bilbo is happy, Sam, Merry & Pippin all seem to end up fine, in spite of the Scouring of the Shire (the very thought of which kills me), but it seems to me that happiness is almost hard-wired into those characters' nature.

                      Frodo, however, about whom we most care, has wounds that will never heal, and he is so broken he has to leave his beloved Shire for a measure of peace and healing--for me, his sailing into the West, though it may literally be a kind of "riding off into the sunset", has nothing of the happy-ever-after feel, or at least a sense of clusure, that I normally associate with that ending--say, the ending of INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE. On top of that, add the passing of the Elves, the preview (from the appendices) of what's to shake down in the lives of Aragorn and Arwen...yikes, I find it so painful in a way, that the older I get the harder time I have re-reading it.

                      Debra Murphy

                      From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>

                      Signup at www.doteasy.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 30, 2005
                        Maybe "Dave", whoever he is, thinks that LOTR has a purely cheerful ending,
                        but David, the person you're replying to, said specifically that the book
                        has a very mixed ending. The point of distinguishing "happily ever after"
                        and "riding off into the sunset" is that they're different. An ending
                        could be both at the same time, but "riding off into the sunset" is not a
                        subset of "happy ever after."

                        Even the happiest endings for Tolkien's characters have a bittersweet tinge
                        (Sam will always miss Frodo, and Tolkien goes out of his way to remind us
                        that Aragorn is mortal; other authors writing adventure stories have their
                        characters miss the excitement and comradeship of their adventuring days
                        but know they can never return).

                        I haven't seen the Indiana Jones film you mention (the first one was boring
                        and tedious enough, full of sound and fury signifying nothing), and I
                        vaguely recall they're not in chronological order which confuses things,
                        but it's already a series of sequels, and aren't they always threatening to
                        make yet another one? That doesn't sound like a story with real closure to me.

                        The point, though, is that the kinds of endings I'm referring to do have
                        closure. More things may happen to these characters (see the "riding off
                        into the sunset" ending of _The Princess Bride_), but we're not going to be
                        told of them. The story is over, no sequels. No worthwhile novel could be
                        made of the further adventures of Merry and Pippin, and what happens next
                        to Frodo is literally unimaginable by fallible mortal.

                        If a story does have real closure, an author wishing to write another one
                        has two choices: 1) get around the closure by writing a different story; 2)
                        undercut the closure. The first choice can work; the second almost always
                        retroactively destroys the effectiveness of the original. The third choice
                        is to avoid giving closure in the first place. Rowling knew she'd be
                        writing more HP books, so she avoided making closure noises at the end of
                        book 1 that she'd later have to undo, but the result is that the story
                        doesn't end.

                        David Bratman

                        At 07:02 AM 7/30/2005 -0700, Debra Murphy wrote:
                        >This is interesting to me that you have this reaction, Dave, to the end of
                        >LotR, because I have a completely different reaction to it. In my view, it
                        >is one of the most heartbreaking endings in literature. Not overtly tragic,
                        >like Tess of the d-Urbervilles, sure; Bilbo is happy, Sam, Merry & Pippin
                        >all seem to end up fine, in spite of the Scouring of the Shire (the very
                        >thought of which kills me), but it seems to me that happiness is almost
                        >hard-wired into those characters' nature.
                        >
                        >Frodo, however, about whom we most care, has wounds that will never heal,
                        >and he is so broken he has to leave his beloved Shire for a measure of peace
                        >and healing--for me, his sailing into the West, though it may literally be a
                        >kind of "riding off into the sunset", has nothing of the happy-ever-after
                        >feel, or at least a sense of clusure, that I normally associate with that
                        >ending--say, the ending of INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE. On top of
                        >that, add the passing of the Elves, the preview (from the appendices) of
                        >what's to shake down in the lives of Aragorn and Arwen...yikes, I find it so
                        >painful in a way, that the older I get the harder time I have re-reading it.
                        >
                        >Debra Murphy

                        >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
                        >
                        >>I do, however, freely admit that when I read a good story, my first thought
                        >>on finishing is NOT "I want to find out what happens to them next." What
                        >>happens to them next should be what happens after the end of every good
                        >>story: they live happily ever after, or at the very least ride off into the
                        >>sunset. Tolkien understood this: when beginning LOTR he went to great
                        >>efforts to figure out how to write a sequel to _The Hobbit_ that didn't
                        >>undercut the earlier book's ending, that Bilbo "remained very happy to the
                        >>end of his days." And the ending of LOTR was a beautifully modulated mix
                        >>of the "happily ever after" and "ride off into the sunset" kinds of
                        >>endings.

                        >$0 Web Hosting with up to 200MB web space, 1000 MB Transfer
                        >10 Personalized POP and Web E-mail Accounts, and much more.
                        >Signup at www.doteasy.com

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Mike Foster
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 6, 2005
                          "As the tomcat said when he kissed the skunk, 'Though it's been grand
                          I've enjoyed about all of this that I can stand'."

                          No offense & I'll come back later, but after an eight-armed twelve-hour
                          day of tweaking & polishing & printing out two papers for Brum, getting
                          23 days of England>Geneva>Burgundy region>Alps packed into one carrion
                          bag, and getting my Gilbert magazine piece on Brideshead Rev. by E.
                          Waugh from nada to down from 756 to 706 words with 106 still to be cut
                          by Sunday night, I am as toasted as a crumpet.

                          John Updike was in Peoria speaking right after Rabbit At Rest was
                          published in '99? and I asked him if we had seen the last of Rabbit.

                          JU: 'Well, he wasn't looking very good the last time I saw him'

                          Balderdoodahdash; there was
                          a prequel in the New Yorker within months.

                          But carry on & carrion. I'll be back. I go to watch Scorpio rising
                          over the corn crib at Foster's Farm with a wee glass of plonk.

                          Take good care of that kitten, Berni.

                          Cheers,
                          Mike

                          Walkermonk@... wrote:

                          >In a message dated 7/25/2005 10:46:27 PM Central Standard Time,
                          >saraciborski@... writes:
                          >
                          >Well, I will venture an opinion contrary to David's scathing one (and
                          >to the negative views expressed in a couple of other posts). I love
                          >all the Harry Potter books and I think the 6th, though not the best
                          >of the lot, is a great read. They are not literary masterpieces and
                          >the themes are at times muddled. But they are wonderfully engaging
                          >portrayals of some delightful characters, both children and adults.
                          >What draws me into Rowling's world and holds me there through
                          >occasional lapses in the writing is Harry himself: what counts in the
                          >story, what decides the outcome is not the magic tricks he does but
                          >his mix of courage, determination, longing (for his parents),
                          >ingenuity, loyalty, recklessness, fun-lovingness and other qualities
                          >that develop as he grows up. I would have missed getting to know him,
                          >had Rowling stopped with the bright, fresh and bouncy first book.
                          >
                          >Sara Ciborski
                          >

                          >-------------
                          >
                          >Sara, I agree with many of your points. In contrast to David B.'s
                          >experience, I found the first one to be enjoyable like candy is enjoyable -- sweet,
                          >quick, and gone. The second one didn't do much more for me, I enjoyed the third
                          >and fourth, and hated much of the fifth. In fact, I was actually angry about
                          >the fifth one. It had a couple of really good scenes, but the overall
                          >structure and the ending conversation between Dumbledore and Harry especially grated
                          >on me. And then somehow I find myself loving "Half-Blood Prince." I really
                          >feel strongly about it.
                          >
                          >Thanks for your post!
                          >Grace Monk

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Mike Foster
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                            I second Ms. Monk's motion.

                            Rowling has a nominative (name-giving) gift that exceeds Lewis' and
                            perhaps is second only to Tolkien.

                            Rank rash dismissal of her reminds me of remark made to me by a retired
                            ICC earth science prof at an ol' bleeps' breakfast last week:
                            "When you started teaching that Tolkien class [in 1978], there were a
                            lot of people who were skeptical."

                            Yeah, well, coprolites to you, chum. Tolkien is literature of the
                            finest. Rowling may be nowhere near that level, but she should not be
                            sneered away to the toy department, Wendell.

                            As Pogo the possum used to say:
                            "Rowrbazzle!"

                            Cheers,
                            Mike

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 3, 2005
                              In a message dated 10/3/2005 11:47:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                              mafoster@... writes:

                              Rowling has a nominative (name-giving) gift that exceeds Lewis' and
                              perhaps is second only to Tolkien.

                              Oh, I think that Rowling's names are superb. If only the other aspects of
                              her books were as good.

                            • Lezlie
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 6, 2005
                                Hi all- (a bit of a ramble...)
                                I like Rowling OK-- don't get me wrong. I just wish she'd stop saying
                                dumb things about *Witches* . As a teacher & parent, the endless
                                conversations about "pretend witches" gets a bit wearing after a
                                while... it isn't as if there isn't piles of readily available
                                information these days. In 2005, there is little excuse to "not know"
                                any longer. Yeah-- the truth is very boring and fiction is ever so
                                much more *fun* ...<sniff>... and all of *that*. (I am a *fantasy* fan
                                after all.)
                                Some of her folklore is a bit off, too...especially involving elfish
                                critters. Of course, her knowledge of the occult in general is compete
                                claptrap, but it's fine for fiction, I suppose. Her world-building
                                skill is improving, however. Well, I could say all of that about a
                                *lot* of writers about a *lot* of things.
                                Rowling tells a good tale. Mostly. But, I haven't gone out and read
                                the last. I've been reading other people I like a lot better. Personal
                                taste, you know...

                                Not really impressed with the name-thing... not really... a bit too
                                Dickensonian, IMHO. A little *obvious* in this post modernist era (for
                                a novel set in modern times with magical twists and turns that is).

                                Now, Charles de Lint, in comparison, has his folklore right spot on,
                                spins magical yarns – if a bit awkward at times – . He shows that he
                                has done his research – no question—.
                                On the other hand, Rowling is incredibly successful; I have to hand
                                her that. And, the kids love her. Mostly harmless (as the cliche has
                                become) I guess. Lezlie

                              • Pauline J. Alama
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 13, 2005
                                  I think one of the reasons that stories about teenagers are popular -
                                  - whether the teenagers are named Harry Potter, Buffy Summers,
                                  Wart/Arthur, Theseus, or Perceval le Galois -- is that
                                  adolescence/coming of age/whateveryouwwannacallit is an important
                                  time in most people's lives, a time when we became the people we
                                  are, and made some of the choices that have formed the rest of our
                                  lives. Rather than dismissing HP because it's "teen lit" one might
                                  more fairly say that part of its compelling appeal for many,
                                  including many adults, is because of its honesty in portraying the
                                  struggles and follies of adolescence. I know that in reading HP 5 I
                                  kept saying, with a rueful groan, "Oh, yes--I remember being 15." A
                                  couple of friends who are teachers found that book a bit of a
                                  busman's holiday, becuase Harry seemed too much like their students.
                                  Why make a weakness out of one of the series' strenghts? I admire
                                  the candor and perceptiveness with which Rowling captures the
                                  nuances of adolescents' mood swings, foibles, and triumphs. And she
                                  never cheats. She never gives Harry insights inconsistent with his
                                  level of maturity. She never steps out of POV in the Harry-POV
                                  chapters to deliver Authorial Wisdom (except indirectly through a
                                  more mature character's dialog). I think point of view is very
                                  important in fiction, and Rowling's skill at this technique is not
                                  often enough praised.

                                  Pauline J. Alama
                                  THE EYE OF NIGHT

                                • Pauline J. Alama
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 13, 2005
                                    I wouldn't say Rowling's folklore was "off" (by which I suppose you
                                    mean "inaccurate"), but that she has decided to do different things
                                    with the folklore.

                                    As Pete Seeger said of folk music, that's what makes it folk --
                                    everyone sings it in their own way.

                                    Pauline J. Alama
                                    THE EYE OF NIGHT

                                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Lezlie" <lezlie1@z...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > contemptuous one-line
                                    > > >dismissal is far below what the books deserve.
                                    > > >

                                    > > >Incidentally, I read a news story about Rowling recently in
                                    which
                                    > she said
                                    > > >that she never read (or, more precisely, she never finished)
                                    either
                                    > _The Lord
                                    > > >of the Rings_ or _The Chronicles of Narnia_.
                                    > > >Well, according to this particular article (which immediately
                                    loses
                                    > points
                                    > > >with me by mentioning Rowling's haircolor), Rowling must have at
                                    > least read "The
                                    > > >Last Battle." So if she hasn't finished Narnia, then I wonder
                                    which
                                    > one(s)
                                    > > >she left out. This is at odds, btw, with many other interviews

                                  • Lezlie
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 13, 2005
                                      All I can say is this: I don't like Pete Seeger's expurgated
                                      renditions of old folk songs, either. His orgiinals are fine, very
                                      sing-alongable -- So, there you have it. Matter of personal taste, I
                                      *suppose*.

                                      There are Other authors I like better, even for youth, but Rowling
                                      serves a very important purpose in the literacy battle. And, that
                                      battle, we cannot afford to loose. More HP, I say! Bring them on!

                                      Lezlie