Re: [mythsoc] O.W.L.s in Harry Potter (No Spoilers!) -- trying again

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2005
      I screwed the formatting up. Let me try this again. Sorry!

      In a message dated 7/22/2005 9:48:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:
      The Harry Potter books are still a teenage-angst series with magic names
      slapped on
      everything.
      -----------
      This is incorrect. The stories are about the struggle between good and evil,
      and how difficult it is to sometimes recognize good and the sacrifices
      required for doing what is right. The ratio of magic names is quite low
      compared to
      just regular names. And teenage angst? When did angst become the sole
      province
      of teenagers and why is there contempt for teenage feelings? The situations
      being confronted by the teenagers in the HP books aren't for the faint of
      heart
      or the immature of character. Do the teenagers handle the situations
      differently than the adults portrayed? Yes. The teens aren't always correct
      either. But
      they matter, and I don't see anything wrong in that. The HP books aren't my
      favorite and I think they have some flaws. But Wendell's contemptuous
      one-line
      dismissal is far below what the books deserve.
      ---

      Wendell also wrote: Incidentally, I read a news story about Rowling recently
      in which she said that she never read (or, more precisely, she never
      finished) either _The Lord
      of the Rings_ or _The Chronicles of Narnia_.
      -------

      Well, according to this particular article (which immediately loses points
      with me by mentioning Rowling's haircolor), Rowling must have at least read
      "The
      Last Battle." So if she hasn't finished Narnia, then I wonder which one(s)
      she left out. This is at odds, btw, with many other interviews and other
      statements about Lewis.

      Grace Monk