The Ads at the bottom of this e-mail was Re: [mythsoc] Film, worst of the year

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8 3:33 PM
      Joan Marie Verba wrote:

      > David also wrote:
      >
      > >Actually, if we really wanted it we could get a list-hoster
      > that didn't
      > >require such things, but thanks be, that isn't my job. If
      > Glen
      > >Goodknight were still around he might say, as he did of a lot
      > of things,
      > >that supposedly sponsoring products by taking unpaid ads like
      > this might
      > >threaten the Society's nonprofit tax status. But it isn't my
      > job to
      > >worry about that, either.
      >
      > A month or so ago, I discovered that Onelist/eGroups will
      > remove the ads
      > for a certain fee. I brought up the information among the
      > Stewards; we
      > discussed it and for the moment agreed to the status quo.
      > However, if the
      > ads ever become a problem for us, we can use that option (or
      > move to
      > another list host).

      It does nothing to our non-profit status. E-groups is providing
      us with a service for free in exchange for some dumb ads at the
      bottom of our e-mails. Which frankly, I ignore. Last I checked,
      since e-groups does this for everyone, we are not in violation of
      any tax code.

      We would only get in trouble is we were personally running ads
      for books by the Big Three or other fantasy authors without
      marking them as ads and explaining that they were paid for by
      someone else. We are supposed to be studying, critique, spread
      the news, and otherwise digest the works of fantasy writers,
      without being the personal publicity agents for them. A
      technically fine line, and many a hair has been split on it. It
      helps that a lot of the authors we deal with are dead, and thus
      cannot personally benefit from anything we do for them.

      We can run into trouble with our non-profit status with the
      Postal Service if we accept non-related for profit ads in our
      magazines. Related for profit ads are subject to debate. But that
      is only if we are using our special non-profit permits. This is
      because we are getting a price break for being non-profit, and
      the for profit magazines made a big stink about it. Mythprint,
      which is currently going out first class, wouldn't have any
      problems with anything.

      As for writers who have plugged their books and magazines on this
      list - This is a public unmoderated forum which is only nominally
      sponsored by the Mythopoeic Society, ie we tell our members that
      it exists, but otherwise don't regulate anything on it. Thus, you
      may plug away and it shouldn't effect our relationship with the
      IRS at all.

      It is my job to worry about it. But enough of the legal stuff.

      Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Treasurer, The Mythopoeic Society

      Still a Star Wars Nut!

      Ignore the ad you see below here---