Seeking information on H.M. Wright

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2005
      I realize this may seem like an odd place to ask about the man, but
      there is a slight Tolkien connection that I know of, and I am hoping
      there is more than that.

      H.M. Wright translated one or more books by Jaques Gernet into
      English around 1959/62, and at least one translation was published by
      George Allen & Unwin in 1962.

      I would like to know if H.M. Wright was related to Joseph Wright,
      whom Tolkien knew (and apparently studied under). Tolkien was an
      executor for Joseph Wright, who is mentioned or obliquely referred to
      (Mrs. Wright is mentioned) in some of Tolkien's letters.

      Does anyone here know about these Mr. Wrights? There is, actually,
      also an Arthur Wright whom I believe was also published by George
      Allen & Unwin. It seems highly likely there would be a family
      connection, but then, likelier things have turned out not to be true.

      Both H.M. Wright and Arthur Wright are cited with reference to works
      about Chinese history and culture, especially medieval history and
      culture.

      --
      Michael Martinez
      Author of Understanding Middle-earth, Parma Endorion, and Visualizing