Comments on the CSL Letters, Vol. 1

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6 9:19 AM
      To Arthur Greeves, 21/2/18, p. 359 -

      Lewis is recuperating from war wounds, but well enough to take country
      walks:

      "Another nice thing was the orchards, where you could look along the bright
      grass among the tree stems ... Wandering about the sleepy country reminded
      me of Bookham days..."

      Do we see here a part of the genesis of the Wood between the Worlds in
      MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW? I added the part of the next sentence including the word
      "sleepy" bec it adds to the impression.

      Here's another erratum. In the Biographical Appendix, under "Ewart Family,"
      p. 990, Walter Hooper quotes from SURPRISED BY JOY a description of Sir
      William Quartus Ewart, including this sentence:

      "No man could feel more fully his responsibility to descendants."

      I looked this up in the original in SBJ and as I remembered, Lewis had
      actually written

      "No man could feel more fully his responsibility to dependants."

      That is to say, Sir W. was a charitable man who looked after servants and so
      forth.

      Diamond Proudbrook