Re: Summer Reading Lists

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005
      Hi--
      The books the kids I'm teaching at the Summer Institute for the Gifted
      are things like Eragon, Narnia (because of the movie). They are
      eagerly awaiting "Harry Potter". They have also "discovered"
      Earthesea-- and are riveted. They range from 4th to 8th grade. I
      assigned my 8th graders some Kipling- they are enjoying it.

      I read a lot of Andre Norton, Anne MacAffrey -- the general "classics"
      of the SF genre: Heinlien, Asimov, Clark and the like as a teen. In
      college I remember reading things like "Siddhartha", some James Joyce,
      Stendahl, Goethe, and a little of the Russians. I "tried* to read
      "Naked Lunch", "The Crying of Lot 49" and "Venus on a Half Shell" but
      found them mostly boring. (All my contemporaries were ga-ga over
      "gonzo journalism" and people like Pinchon & Vonnegut at the time...)
      I discovered W.B. Yeats in my junior year of college, and never put
      him down. Tolkien in the 10th grade, and never put him down again,
      either.

      I had a brief foray into mysteries that still tempt me now and then.
      Fantasy isn't respectable or hip-- that's probably why I liked it in
      the first place, now it's just what I enjoy the most. Hope this
      helps-- Lezlie
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005
        That was written by Peoria's own Phillip Jose Farmer, using [with
        grudging permission] the "Kilgore Trout" character created by Kurt
        Vonnegut, Jr. as by nom de plume.