Re: Talking of errors, was Re: [mythsoc] "half-orcs"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2005
      Lewis's Collected Letters, v.2, p. 991 (letter to Tolkien, 27 Oct 1949), is
      transcribed as saying: "If I include more of my adverse criticism in this
      letter that is because you have heard and rejected most of them already ..."

      In Carpenter's biography of Tolkien, p. 204, the same letter is transcribed
      as saying: "If I include none of my adverse criticisms in this letter ..."
      thus with two words different in this passage.

      Carpenter is surely correct on meaning, though it's possible that the
      errors are Lewis's and were silently corrected by Carpenter. For
      comparison of the two transcriptions shows that Carpenter clearly expands
      abbreviations and cuts passages without any indication.

      This letter is privately held (it doesn't say by whom, but probably the
      Tolkien family), but on the other hand letters for which it is possible to
      check Hooper's transcription show that there are many errors therein.

      The only possible conclusion is: scholar beware. The scholar with whom I
      am working has been spending a great deal of her time actively bewaring.

      David Bratman